Mushrooms a Scarey Forage or are you confident?

• 3 Replies

SCassin

• Experienced Member
Mushrooms a Scarey Forage or are you confident?
« on: September 26, 2013, 14:25 »
I love mushrooms and would love to forage for them but Im just not brave enough.  I am going to the National Botanic Gardens in October for Fungi day and hope to get some information on easy recognisable mushrooms that are safe.  I often see mushrooms about when out riding my horse, etc and wonder could that be safe, tasty, good?  But I have never gathered any.  I found a lovely batch today in our local park and posted a photo on a facebook forage group page and everyone who commented said it was an easy one and safe.  Will I pick it - NO.  The whole mushroom thing fascinates me but scares me more!   I wish there was someone local I could find who would sort of hold my hand and show me the way to build confidence - I need that forage guy from River Cottage really lol - so do any of you gather mushrooms?  How, where did you learn and gain confidence without sickness  :D

compostqueen

Re: Mushrooms a Scarey Forage or are you confident?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 15:21 »
I have been caught out by mushrooms that were ok but they were not ok to be eaten with alcohol.
I was given these by an experienced forager but he didn't check his book about the alchohol thing, so I got screaming ab dabs. 

You need to learn from an expert, and it's only from repeated trips out with someone who knows what they're doing, can you hope to know the difference between fungi that can look very similar.  There will be foraging trips near you, you have to get up early though  :)  Fresh field mushrooms are marvellous as are Chanterelles, wood bluets (birch bolets I think). I didn't like Slippery Jacks or puffballs much. There is a lot of choice if you pick the right place. We were foraging in birch woods  :)

Ema

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 13:46 »
I would love to understand mushrooms better ive get a few books and when Im certain the shroom in front of me is the one on the page in front of me that says safe edible and tastey I then turn 2 pages and find an identical mushroom that's toxic. :(

I think you have to know the area you live in well and take an expert out for a day

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 15:24 »
Much as I love mushrooms, I must agree that you MUST first learn with an experienced forager, never just a guide book. Some toxic mushrooms are too similar to edible ones and an experienced forager will point out subtle differences that could save your life.

Same with the tip that some mushrooms are toxic if eaten with alcohol. I've seen that happen.

Ask around at adult education centres, conservation centres, etc to find a forager who will give courses, etc.

xx
Field Mushrooms now!!

Started by mrs.ploppy on Frugal Living

12 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 17:43
by Epona_4
xx
Field Mushrooms Where are they?

Started by sion01 on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 20:42
by sion01
clip
Parasol mushrooms

Started by agapanthus on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 20:27
by agapanthus
xx
Wild Mushrooms - edible or not?

Started by gavinjconway on Frugal Living

20 Replies
Last post November 16, 2011, 15:00
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 35 queries.