Splitting tomatoes

• 10 Replies

Geordie

Splitting tomatoes
« on: August 30, 2014, 20:11 »
Never had a problem with splitting tomatoes before but this year nearly every one of my plants has some tomatoes that are splitting.

Anyone know why?

imag0258.jpg

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
Re: Splitting tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 20:19 »
Too much water.

Caused by rain??

Or else overwatering.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 20:21 »
That tends to be the cause... though I've found this year that my Red Pears have seemed particularly prone to splitting, Tigerella have a bit and my Orange Paruche not at all. Guess smaller cherry toms might be more robust against splitting - perhaps different varieties are more prone.

Cheers,
Balders

gypsy

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 20:58 »
Some varieties are more prone to splitting than other. It can be due to over watering or over feeding once they are nearly ripe. May also be due to hot days and cold nights.
Catherine

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 21:42 »
It happens when they get a good watering after they've been a bit dry for a while. The sudden uptake of water causes the swelling that splits the skins.

It is what we have to put up with, unless we want to grow thick-skinned varieties like they sell in the shops  ::)

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 09:09 »
Yes I lost loads of cherry toms due to the heavy rain last week It is just one of those things.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 09:42 »
Some varieties are definitely much more prone to splitting than others - my Red Alert and Inca plum toms almost never split under any circumstances, whereas Sungold almost always do no matter how hard I try. Sweet Million are somewhere in between the two.

Strangely though, a spare Sungold plant grown in the garden with very little in the way of care has produced very few split fruit, although it has to be said they have a habit of 'disappearing' when nearly ripe!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

beesrus

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 13:49 »
Definitely a water thing given the dry conditions this year. My outside tomatoes just didn't get enough water at all, and nearly all my gardeners delight have split like above. Those tomatoes in the greenhouse that were watered very regularly haven't suffered at all.
Apparently, according to my world wide grape picking friend, grapes suffer from the same splitting problem if a hot dry growing period is followed by late rains...

Geordie

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 14:14 »
Thanks for all the replies - I suspected it was the watering.

The varieties are moneymaker and ailsa craig and both are inside the greenhouse in 10" bottomless pots directly on the soil. I would say 10% are affected on each plant.

I water religiously every 2 days and vary the amount depending on the weather. The only variation they could have had was at the end of July when a family member was watering for me whilst on holiday!

I think I'll reduce watering to every 3 days from now on.

Cheers  :)

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 15:27 »
I am growing craigella, red pear, san marzano, and money maker in P/T direct in soil, have watered little and often, only craigella splitting!!!
Bish

Headgardener22

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 15:35 »
Once the tomatoes have "set" that is they have stopped growing and are ripening, overwatering will cause them to split because the skins lose their ability to grow any more.

Thinner skinned varieties are more likely to split (I find Black Cherry are particularly bad). I think its been particularly bad this year because of the hot period at the end of July.

xx
Splitting tomatoes.

Started by Bagpuss on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2007, 22:40
by richyrich7
xx
Splitting tomatoes

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 20:50
by Yorkie
xx
Splitting tomatoes

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 23:24
by sclarke624
xx
Gardeners Delight Tomatoes. Why are the fruits splitting?

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 23:20
by peterjf

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 40 queries.