Onion Root Rot

• 6 Replies

Welsh Merf

Onion Root Rot
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:32 »
Earlier this year I noticed that some of my red onions (Red Baron) were laying on their side, as if they'd been knocked over, whilst the remainder were upright and proud. On investigation - and with the advice of the more experienced gardeners, I discovered that they had white root rot. Following advice, I lifted all the onions and separated good from bad, burning the bad and eating the good.

After some more investigation I discovered that this white root rot is a proper little (insert expletive here), and that I can't grow any of the onion family on the same space for at least eight years. I then researched the RHS website, and now feel totally despondent, especially as I did that AFTER having planted this year's winter onions, garlic, and leek on another bed.

It evolves that this white root rot is a spore of some sort, laying dormant in the ground until it senses a member of the onion family, and then it activates itself. Not only that, but the RHS inform me that it can be transmitted by your boots and tools to other areas of you garden. So now I'm wondering what will become of my winter plantings; have I inadvertently transferred the spores to that bed at some point?

Any comments, tips, advice would be highly appreciated!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Onion Root Rot
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:50 »
I have a bed or 2 that are less effected by it, but it's everywhere to some degree  :(
I think all allotment sites suffer sooner or later...... whether it arrives on the basal plates of sets or from compost made with infected onion waste from the kitchen  :unsure:

Unless you have seen the black dots of Onion White Rot, you may have Onion Basal Rot which doesn't seemto spread as easily.
Whichever you have, leeks usually manage to grow ok, because the spores aren't (as) active in the cold months.
In the same way early garlic seems ok, but the later maturing types seem to suffer.

Your Winter onions may be ok if you eat them as early as you can. Good luck

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:54 »

cudsey

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 16:53 »
I dont know if I have onion root rot spores but mine start to rot within 3 to 4 weeks after digging them up I had the same trouble last year but I have grown them for the last 9 years and never had this trouble in the past but I did get a new allotment last year so not sure what the problem is

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 17:07 »
Not Onion White Rot if they don't get white fluffy mould on the bottom which kills the roots off too early.

Storage rot usually starts from the top, Onion Neck Rot

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=747

cudsey

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 19:34 »
Thank you mumofstig for that info and the link

cudsey

Welsh Merf

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 08:36 »
Many thanks for that Mumofstig. I feel slightly better about my prospects now. :)

xx
Pickling Onion recommendation / straggly onion & leeks

Started by kentishlad on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 13, 2007, 09:45
by Annie
xx
onion question from first time onion grower

Started by ceri green on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 20:48
by gillie
xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
clip
What root?

Started by BuddingGrower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 15, 2013, 21:37
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 37 queries.