Advice and opinions on growing new things

• 11 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Advice and opinions on growing new things
« on: October 23, 2015, 17:58 »
I always like to try a few new things each year but find that the reason that they are not widely grown might often be difficulty and/or poor (tasting) crops. Still, I've had a few successes as well and have developed something of a 'reputation' on the allotment site...  :D

I've been going through James Wong's 'Grow For Flavour' and Joy Larkcom's 'Grow Your Own Vegetables'  amongst others and there are a few plants that they've suggested that I quite fancy having a go at next season.

If you've got any experience good/or bad with any of these I'd be interested in hearing - and if you have any other 'unusual' suggestions.

• Chervil Root (Chaerophyllum bulbosum)
  • Marsh Samphire (Salicornia europaea)
  • Hamburg Parsley (Petroselinum crispum tuberosum)
  • Quillquiña (Porophyllum ruderale)

Pip pip,
Balders

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Advice and opinions on growing new things
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 23:32 »
I've had a go at the two roots. Chervil root sounds great but for me it was a total disaster, it didn't even germinate. Root parsley on the other hand was a total delight. Tasted amazing, both root and leaf. OH doesn't like parsnips, but we were fighting over these. Mine really didn't grow big though - possibly because they were in a tub and on the north-facing balcony, which isn't the most fun combination for anything vegetabley.

I've never heard of the last on your list. Had to look it up - am guessing this is a Wongism?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 04:54 »
Quinqilla is also known as Rare Papalo (sold from Real Seeds)  It grew like sage, pretty purple green leaves which when crushed had a peculiar smell.  The leaves tasted bitter ... I have to confess that I didn't use it in cooking and might have been nicer like other herbs but the smell put me off.

The Hamburg Parsley was nice - like having thin small carrot sized parsnips.  I probably wasn't as wowed by them as surbie but I'd certainly would grow them again.

Samphire - I bought seeds earlier this year but unfortunately did not get round to sowing (not been a good year for me as it was a long cold spring and I was late sowing / planting loads of stuff)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:57 by BabbyAnn »

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 07:27 »
Balders

A great list if you had included what they actually are, I have never heard of any of them let alone grown them so interesting thread you have started. This was my first year for growing butternut squash and I ate it for the first time a couple of days ago. Surbie the Squash Borg Queen is to blame and I may do some other types of squash next year.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:29 by cadalot »

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 09:47 »
Cadders  - you have to work for your supper with me...

It seems strange to me to think that 3 or 4 years ago I wasn't growing squash - they're one of my more successful/useful crops these days but once upon a time were strange and new to me... I've grown oca for the first time this year and it seems to be flourishing - will be interesting to see how big and numerous the tubers are come Winter.
Walking/Egypian onions were a disaster. Asparagus pea (uuech). I have an ridiculously large goji berry plant that is making my plot look more of an eyesore than usual - its been in 3 years and is yet to fruit - its now on its final warning. Fat babies from the seed circle did well, I'll be growing them again. Pineberries - small and tasteless IMHO.

Pip pip,
Balders

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 10:24 »
Balders - I just bought James Wong's book Growing for Flavour and haven't been able to prise it out of my OH' hands so haven't read it yet. OH seems very impressed with what he says especially as JW is a botanist so must know what he's talking about, and has quoted various things such as choosing the colour of your crop containers to improve results. Next year, we could have a JW thread and experiment with various ideas! Back to your thread, I've never grown these things but have heard of marsh samphire and Hamburg parsley. Sometimes I've had unexpected good results from sowing at the wrong time or planting in the wrong place so have a go and spare a few seeds and/or plants for a different place. Just Wik-ied samphire and got two different articles - most interesting history! If you want any salt-water, I have plenty round here!!  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 10:42 »
If you have some spare greenhouse space have a go at a Pepino ....  I've had a couple of ripe fruit this year and they're certainly different.

surbie100

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 17:27 »
I may do some other types of squash next year.

There are more seeds coming atcha in the Seed Circle this year...now you've got two plots you've plenty of room.  :D

Asparagus pea (uuech).

I second that - sometimes new isn't great. At. All.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 17:35 »
Hamburgh parsley was a success, Baldy and I can highly recommend it. The younger leaves are OK raw but the tougher outer leaves add great flavour to soup or stock, whilst the roots, although quite small, are very tasty--- we mainly roasted them.

Glad you like the fat babies  :D :D

Just wait until all those Seed Circle goodies arrive this year (well technically next year I know!)  :D :D :D

My planned new thing for the coming season is Chick Peas
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 17:36 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Christine

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 20:37 »
Hah - ying yang beans are the thing up here as they dry to the colours of the local football team (black and white) so are known locally as Toon beans.

surbie100

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 21:12 »
I have new varieties of squash to try (Sibleys, Chirimen, Lower Salmon River) and am hoping for some giant achocha.

Next year my main goat is to have a proper go at parsnips, which have eluded me every year I've tried. And sprouts and popcorn, since I bungled both this year.

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 08:14 »
I tried quillquina last year Balders.  It grew quite tall, 2'6" to 3'.    I did use it sparingly in cooking, it tasted like a citrussy coriander.   Good in salsas.

xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
Things not growing

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 17:59
by blackbob
xx
Things are growing, plus yet another question

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 16:18
by Aidy
xx
Growing the right amount of things.

Started by Siouxfly on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 23:55
by pigeonpie

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 39 queries.