Re: Bean ID help please?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 22:08 »
CToT doesn't look to have the right shaped seeds though  :unsure:

They look like my saved Cherokee's.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 22:58 »
It doesn't look like CToT to me. My version's beans are haricot bean shaped and just a tad bigger. None of them are round - some of them are cut-off where the pods were very full. And the pods are thin and round, going from dark green to full purple, not variegated.

To me they look like the Black Coco beans I grew, including pod colouration, but those were a bush bean.

Could there be more than one strain of CToT these days? Mine were also originally from RealSeed.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 09:34 »
Could there be more than one strain of CToT these days? Mine were also originally from RealSeed.

I think that is very likely.  After a quick look round, mine don't look the same shape as a lot of the versions on sale.  Baker Creek shows beans that are haricot shaped and green pods turning purple.  Mine are rounder than that and I had purple streaks developing on green pods.  I don't remember mine ever turning a flat purple, although I can't be sure.  I've grown them for a few years now.  Other blogs and pictures show wide variations in pod colours.

Aunt Sally: although the beans look identical to Black Turtle beans, their plants only get about two feet tall -- New Shoot & I saw them at Wisley this Summer

Maybe it is a new thing -- a climbing turtle bean . How good would that be!!

I have been hankering after Black Turtle beans ever since we saw them, but now I have realised I have something almost identical, I shall stick with my Cherokees (or whatever they really are). 

A climbing turtle bean sounds very good to me, so if your mystery beans are even more identical, happy days    :D

AnneB

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 10:24 »
Mine were originally from Real Seeds too.  I get a variety of colour.  Most start off pale green, but the longer you leave them on the plant, they get streaked purple and some turn entirely purple.  Then you get the odd one that starts of with purple colouration.  Seed shape variable too!  Some kidney, some sort of flattened oblong.  Always with a white mark where they were attached to the pod.  Having compared photos again, my seeds may be a bit different.
image.jpeg
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:39 by AnneB »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 13:17 »
I just hope Sunshine is as forgiving as I seem to have passed on an imposter  :lol:

I can assuage your guilt New Shoot. I have some saved seed from the ones you originally gave me and they are small, black and bean shaped; pods were pencil shaped not flat. CTofT grows to the top of the ploes and these are about a metre tall only.

I think they are indeed Poletschka beans (thank you MumofStig  :D :D :D  ) although some of the pics on google are in fact Pea Beans, juts to add to everyone's confusion.

HURRAYYYYYY!!! I am about to write a label for them. I reckon they arrived via an unlabelled plastic bag in the Seed Parcel, as I have looked back over my sowing records again and have a ??? French Bean??? on there. I planted them out at the base of a pole on my bean arch, not knowing if they were climbers of dwarf, and this must be what they are..

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate all the effort you made on my behalf. And for MoS....

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 13:18 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 13:21 »
We do need a 'like' button!  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 14:06 »
thank you MumofStig  :D :D :D

xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
To Bean Or Not To Bean

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 18:42
by erainn
xx
What's This Bean?

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2010, 10:15
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 41 queries.