Hey little hen when when when will you lay me an egg for my tea!

• 7 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
I know they are still only babies, but I wonder if anyone has any idea when I could expect my first egg. I think it will probably be next year, maybe around Easter! :D
The girls are: a Pekin and an Araucana both only 9wks old, a 11wk Legbar, who I think may lay sooner than the others and a little Wynadotte aged 12 wks. As I say, I think it will be a while yet, as they won't be POL until Nov/Dec and the days will be to short, but I would welcome any thoughts! ::)

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Hi, i've had them point of lay at Nov/Dec time and they've laid around New Year, just as the days are lengthening, but of course it could take longer ::)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
I know they are still only babies, but I wonder if anyone has any idea when I could expect my first egg. I think it will probably be next year, maybe around Easter! :D
The girls are: a Pekin and an Araucana both only 9wks old, a 11wk Legbar, who I think may lay sooner than the others and a little Wynadotte aged 12 wks. As I say, I think it will be a while yet, as they won't be POL until Nov/Dec and the days will be to short, but I would welcome any thoughts! ::)
Hello Chuckmum!
I do believe I recognise those little babies of yours!  ;) glad they are all settled in!

17wks onwards is a good starting point for them being POL, I have had pullets start laying at 17 wks and it was October/November, but they were hybrids! if they dont lay this year then as soon as the days start getting longer, from Dec 21st, this will trigger them into laying hopefully!
my silver laced and pekin are the same age so fingers crossed! (some people have had eggs on Christamas day!)
Photos are a requirement of this forum you know! it is the law apparently  ;)  :lol:

Debbie
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 23:08 by chickenlady »
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
Hi Debbie,
Yep they are the girls - well done spotting them from their back view! They were busy hunting for bugs. They happily roam around the garden when not beginning held by the boys, they are very tame! 
P1030015.JPG
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:37 by chuckmum »

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
 :D Its what makes it all worth while hearing that they are happy and healthy! they look lovely!
Debbie

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
They are great girls :D I just can't upload the photo I wanted which shows their front view! I'll keep trying

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
I don't know how I managed the pic before - I can't do it again!
small pic.jpg

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
I think you just did!  ??? they look so lovely  :D my little pekin is still in with a buff orpington! its like little and large  :lol: will have to get a pic of that.

Debbie

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.