Eucalyptus

• 8 Replies

Juli

Eucalyptus
« on: October 11, 2012, 17:12 »
Hi everyone,

We moved to the UK from Australia two years ago, and my husband particularly would love to have a eucalyptus tree in our new garden, especially a flowering gum (large pink flowers). But I've just been doing a bit of reading, and it seems that eucalyptus trees in UK gardens are very hard to control and can be quite destructive.

Can anyone recommend one that stays fairly small, can stand the climate and preferrably has nice flowers? Or is there no such thing?

Thanks,
Juli

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Eucalyptus
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:25 »
Coincidentally, on Beechgrove Garden this week they mentioned their Eucalyptus tree but I failed to notice if they said much more about it. Also, in relation to your query (other thread) about perennial plants, the same item covered plant hardiness to a degree and best planting times, although I'm aware New Shoot for one has been very helpful with answers there.

If you have time it might be worth a look on iplayer or watch out for the online factsheet being published in the next few days.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Juli

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 15:24 »
Thank you. I'll have a look on iplayer.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 15:15 »
Just a word of warning Juli

We had a snow gum at work that blew over. They have a relatively shallow root plate for their height, and the ground here can be wetter and softer than 'at home' for them.

The one in our garden grew to over 40 ft in 16 years and had a trunk diameter of over a metre

It was a spectacular tree with gorgeous white flowers every Autumn, but eventually we decided it had to go, as the blanket of dead leaves each Spring became almost unmanageable for us, and for our neighbours
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 21:57 »
Juli,
you may find it very difficult to find a eucalyptus that does not grow very tall.
I've tried with various varieties and ended up digging them all out because they grow more than six feet in height every year.

Most eucalyptus trees need a huge space around them because they grow so tall so quickly.
Dwarf eucalyptus has yet to be discovered.
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

Juli

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 13:53 »
Ok, maybe we won't do that then...  :)

Spana

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 15:04 »
We have a big one here, must be 70-80ft tall. Its the most beautiful tree and the colours in the trunk where the bark peels off are lovely. But the last few years here have been very wet and we can see it has a lean to the east now, wind  comes from the west straight of the Atlantic.  :(

You can keep them small by keeping them cut back hard. They do shoot from old wood.  :)
Also you get the lovely round leaves on new growth which is what all the flower arrangers what. :happy:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 20:04 »
Our neighbours had a beautiful eucalyptus a third of the way down the garden which was causing subsidence to our extension and made growing anything near it impossible.

The surveyor who came to look said that these trees should not be planted in small gardens and should be planted a very great way away from buildings.

Luckily our neighbours were great and it was cut down. A great shame becaue it was a very beautiful tree.

pepsi100

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 23:32 »
maybe growing it in a pot or bin would be the answer, it would restrict the root growth, the bin (something like a dustbin, maybe) could be buried (get some else to dig the hole though  ;) )

I have had a bit of succcess with a tree in my garden, it hasnt grown very big, but then again it may not have grown very big without the bin, its a cherry tree

Only thing I know about a Eucalyptus is that koalas like the leaves and in the blue mountains (in Oz) give of a haze (thats how the Blue Mountains got their name, and when walking the mountains its like breathing a Eucalyptus sweet)

Its just a though and my tuppence worth
It's all about the journey, not the destination

xx
Eucalyptus tree

Started by The Red Baron on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 17:40
by sunshineband
xx
Eucalyptus roots

Started by muckyboots on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2013, 08:26
by snowdrops
xx
huge pain of a eucalyptus

Started by bunch29 on General Gardening

23 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 22:48
by dereklane
xx
Where to get a reasonable Eucalyptus tree?

Started by Deucecoup on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 18:30
by Deucecoup

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 33 queries.