huge pain of a eucalyptus

• 23 Replies

bunch29

huge pain of a eucalyptus
« on: February 04, 2009, 21:44 »
Help please !!!!

Our neighbours a couple of years ago planted a eucalyptus tree in the front gardgen right on the border she was a really good gardener and kept the tree small and it looked really nice then they moved ! we had new neighbours who were very nice only stayed 18months and did no gardening at all then we had more new neighbours and they seem quite scared of the garden just take the odd twig off here and there but left the tree completely. anyway to cut a long story short the tree is about 8-10ft away from our house and as tall as the roof and cutting out light.

We asked them to cut it back or remove it (nicely) they had a tree surgeon only take the top off (very badly too) it is about 3-4 ft from their house as theres is a bit further forward. The roots are stopping me from planting and we have found them right up to the house.

So should I be worrying as much as I am or is this ok and what can I do   :unsure:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: huge pain of a eucalyptus
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 21:49 »
I don't know anything about the root system of a eucalyptus, but if the roots are up to your house inow, I'd be worred about them getting any longer and undermining your foundations.

We had a 4ft eucalyptus when we moved here that was only about 3 ft from the house, but our goat ate it, so I don't hvae to worry abut it now!

And if their house is even closer to it, perhaps you could mention that its roots could damage the foundations and maybe that will frighten them into having it removed.  You could also say, I hope you are well insured, because if your tree roots damage my founatins, it could cost you a lot of money!!!!

garddwr

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 21:49 »
We've had one here for about 11 years now and it is scary how tall they grow and people have told us that their roots could go underneath your house. But our's is far away from the house so its ok but planting by it is a problem.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 10:20 »
Eucalyptus grow very fast. They can be cut back right to the ground and they still regrow. They are a beautiful tree in the right place.
Your best bet is to keep making noises about the roots being too near the house and damaging the foundations.

penance

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 10:53 »
The roots will damage foundations. They work in to tiny cracks in concrete and as they grow it breaks the concrete.

Was there a survey when they moved in?
If so it should of picked up on the problem.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:40 »
Eucalyptus grow very fast. They can be cut back right to the ground and they still regrow. They are a beautiful tree in the right place.
Your best bet is to keep making noises about the roots being too near the house and damaging the foundations.

We have one but I cut it down to the ground every 4-5 yrs, the new growth looks better than the old.  :)

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

bunch29

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 13:58 »
It is lifting the paving out the front few cracks showing
Its just such a horrible subject to approach them with seeing as we have already asked them and they did'nt do it very well, dont want to fall out with them but must be brave and do it.
They are a bit odd you see
:wacko:

SG6

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 19:11 »
A house opposite me had one and it grew huge in a relatively short time. I would suggest that you somehow get something done about it.

Could you "delicately" poison it right now. Then say the cold must have gotten to it. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

If you don't do something then I am fairly sure that you will have problems.

penance

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 20:24 »
Please don't suggest poisoning other peoples plants, it constitues criminal damage and is a rather daft idea.

It is much better to approach this in a sensible and legal manner.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 20:29 »
I'm not sure about this but possibly your insurance company may have something to say about the roots of the tree being up to the house, but this would probably ruin relations between you and your neighbors forever.

Think I'd be tempted to chop through any roots on your side, you can legally do this.

penance

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 20:34 »
Richy, the law regarding pruning of trees reaching over your boudary is not so straight forward.
You are entitled to prune to your boundary 'within reason'. That means that you should not prune in such a way that may cause harm to the tree.
Root pruning is not as simple as top growth, and it is also the major structural support for the tree.

If the OP pruned roots to their boundary and then the tree collapsed they may be held responsible and actually end up being the ones in trouble.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 20:54 »
You'd have to dig quite deep to get all roots out penance, even tho' eucalyptus seem reasonably shallow rooted, like I said we have one in our garden.
The "in reason" is debatable what do you call within reason ? anything that over hangs is trespass

This might be of some help to you bunch29
Roots

Like branches, roots that grow from your land onto a neighbours are trespassing. Your neighbour can chop the roots along the boundary line and does not need your permission to do so.

The full wording can be found at www.gardenlaw.co.uk]http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/trees.html] www.gardenlaw.co.uk

penance

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 21:06 »
Richy, I covered trees and law during my arb training at Merrist Wood.
I have removed many eucs, as with any tree the majority of roots are in the top 24" on soil. Yes, roots do go deeper, but think about the mechanics behind the support of the tree!

Within reason may seem debatable, but that is the wording of the law, not mine. To be within reason the person performing the pruning would need to be qualified in that area and able to make a qualified judgement.
Your quoted text is rather vague, you should not chop roots to the boundary if it will cause mechanical instability to the tree, if you do you are responsible for any damage caused.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 21:17 »
But then surely if the neighbour's tree causes damage to bunch29's house foundations, they are liable for the damage, which could be horrendously expensive.

bunch29

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 22:05 »
Thanks everyone

Think I will approach them again but will arm myself with info on the damage they can cause hopefully this will scare them a bit.

Also I was wondering if I dont have any luck if the council would do anything?

xx
Eucalyptus

Started by Juli on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 23:32
by pepsi100
xx
Eucalyptus roots

Started by muckyboots on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2013, 08:26
by snowdrops
xx
Eucalyptus tree

Started by The Red Baron on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 17:40
by sunshineband
xx
Where to get a reasonable Eucalyptus tree?

Started by Deucecoup on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 18:30
by Deucecoup

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 33 queries.