Our first egg!

• 5 Replies

rcf100

• Experienced Member
Our first egg!
« on: May 21, 2012, 13:48 »
Yay!

Do laid an egg this morning.  She was quite noisy and normally our girls are fairly quiet, she was also in and out of the house.

I went and put some bedding in the nest box and took the wire up (they had been sleeping in there, so I was preventing them from going in so that they roost instead).  She went in, had some scratching around, lots of noise and came out again.

I went and checked, nothing...Then she repeated the process.

This time though, when she was done, she stood at the pop hole shouting and shouting with her head held high!  I went in and checked - NOTHING!

But then I saw she had messed up the newspaper on the tray at the bottom of the house, and there, in the corner was a little, perfect egg.

My 2 year old was over the moon.  She rang daddy.  "Do found an egg and left it in her house, I want to eat it!"

We haven't eaten it and she has agreed that she will have the next egg, as part of the deal with hubby building my run, was that he got the first egg.

So I have 1 lady laying, in the house not the nest box and all 3 ladies, if given chance sleeping in the nest box and not in the house.  Still, we're working on it, and we are all new to this after all!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Our first egg!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 13:57 »
Well done Do! :D

Exciting isn't it? I took photos of our first egg, photos of the first fried eggs (they were double yolkers!) and photos of home made Scotch eggs (makes them go further) :tongue2:

Sad innit? :lol:

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 15:06 »
Oh well, at least it's not just me, I haven't took a photo of it yet, but was planning on.  It's sat there all lonely on my egg skelter.

Hubby is hoping it's a double.  I was reading on the advice pages on here and it said that good layers will often lay doubles when they start laying, and ours are hybrids so fingers crossed.

I had asked the milk man for a half dozen this morning before the egg from Do arrived, I'm hoping that this is the last eggs I have to buy for a very long time :)

j00les

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 15:41 »
congraz  :D :D :D on your first and hopefully many eggs to come  :tongue2:
they taste so much nicer too mmmmmm Enjoy  :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 16:59 by j00les »

Mrs.Apron

• Wearing my apron with pride! :)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 16:52 »
Congratulations!  But surely hubby will let your two year old eat the egg? 
No sense in being pessimistic It wouldn’t work anyway.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 18:24 »
Congratulations and celebrations tra la la (singing Cliff style  :)  It's just great isn't it.  Enjoy the egg split how many ways ?  :D

Did you remember to thank your hen?  You must you know, every time too!  :)

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 36 queries.