What time do hens wake up at?

• 14 Replies

peewee_lane

« on: October 10, 2008, 08:09 »
Morning all,

This is a question for those of you who would close your hens in the nest box at night and open it for them in the morning.

What time do they wake up?? Is it sunrise?

Woke up to a miserable dark day in Ireland and they did not come out, so does this mean I get a lie on as such in the winter?

Sorry if this is a silly question, we're getting an infra red webcam soon to see who's laying the eggs and then we'll know. But until then... anyone know?

Oliveview

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:37 »
Now the mornings are starting later now (7.30 it is still dark) the girls are quiet.  They start to go daft to be let out as soon as it is reasonably light and they see the front door is open and hear us moving about.  Then they really let us know they want out!
The younger hens seem to stay inside a bit longer, the older girls are very keen to go out and see the world.
Colin (now deseased) the cockerel used to crow any time from 10pm onwards! He was confused I think.  Neighbours cockerel starts his crowing at about 1am in the summer and 4 am now it is autumn
Pamela

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:51 »
We've been gaining about 5 minutes or so a week in bed for the last few weeks.

It's now about 7am opening time. It was 6am in summer and they were impatient even then.

You're right. It is sunrise, or as soon as the light gets into the coop. In Winter proper, you can open them up quite late (7.30ish). I've fixed up a PIR light by the run now so whatever time they're opened up, they'll think it's daylight anyway ! :roll:

Rob 8)

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 08:57 »
Quote from: "oliveview"
Colin (now deseased) the cockerel used to crow any time from 10pm onwards! He was confused I think.  Neighbours cockerel starts his crowing at about 1am in the summer and 4 am now it is autumn
Pamela

No wonder he is now deceased!
Sue

Vember

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 09:26 »
The latest I have let mine out in the morning was around 18/19th December on a really c**py day it didn't get light till 8:30 am  :shock:

At the moment it's between 7:30 & 8  depending on the weather.

It's not very nice here on Anglesey this morning either  :(

Sarah :)

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 09:42 »
Our girls are up and about around 7.30am-8am

Bed time all tucked up by 7pm.

Knight Family

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 10:08 »
ours have been 7 but today the OH went down at 7.3o and woke them up! Automatic door comes monday.. She will still be down there to feed them at 7am.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:13 »
Im must have lazy hens.  :shock:

My lot took themselves off to bed a 6:15 last night - they didnt even bother staying up for a serving of the pasta I was cooking. I dragged myself out to open the coop up at 8am this morning and they just weren't interested at all, they surfaced around 8:45.

Oliveview

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 21:55 »
Our hens were in bed quite early tonight, by 7pm as it has been a very dark, dull day here, very windy too.  
We don´t get the very light mornings here, even in summer is itsn´t light until about 7am.  Winter it gets light at about 8.15am, sother eisn´t that much variation on sunrise.  In the summer it is dark at around 10-10.15pm and winter around 6pm (from what I can remember from  last year :lol: )
Pamela

peewee_lane

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 10:00 »
Thank you so much guys, they were alol excellent replies.

Anyone got a link to the automatic doors? I could do with one of them fo whenI go back to work.

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 17:59 »
ours get up and go to bed depending not only on the light but also on the weather.... if its a nice day then are out later into dusk and have to be herded in to bed than if its horrible weather and theyt just put themselves to bed ages before it gets properly dark

also our new young cockerel has learnt to crow  :lol: , there are 3 cockerals in very close proximity in this part of the valley and once they all get going in their morning "i'm the king of the valley" argument then everyone's awake anyway  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

chucky

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 18:03 »
Foghorn was up at 5.25 this morning giving it large, sure the neighbours appreciated it lol

Miller

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 17:20 »
Ours take theirselves off to bed around 8 now but are still keen to get up when I open the door at 5:50am, like corks out of a champagne bottle - they get let out when the horses get fed, we are about till daylight but if I don't let them out straight away they just make a racket and stomp round the coop trampling eggs and anything else that gets in their way  :shock:

Mellibelle

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 21:17 »
LOL Ceri - When I had my old boy and his various girls, it was *exactly* the same here, even down to the 'I'm the king of the valley argument'!  I've just got a new boy, who's just finding his voice.  It's still a bit weedy (I'm the only cockerel in the village') but it will only be a matter of time.  My new pullets haven't got the hang of putting themselves to bed and getting themselves up yet, and treat my assistance in these matters with various levels of disdain.

Oliveview

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 22:11 »
The neighbours cockerals were all crowing at around 1.30am this morning :shock:   So they set off the other neighbours birds too.  Thank goodness the peacocks didn´t join in :lol:
Pamela

xx
new hens spending more time in

Started by maninvan on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 13:30
by orchardlady
xx
should I take on 5 week old hens for my first time?

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 13:01
by anitaws
xx
Is there a 'usual' time of day for hens to lay?

Started by GerryOB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 19:14
by grumpydad
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 39 queries.