in need of help

• 10 Replies

wade wilson

in need of help
« on: April 24, 2016, 23:17 »
hi im looking for help in finding an allotment im on waiting list but want to know if there's quicker ways, ie private ones and so forth or if there's ways of improving my chances as i it means alot to me, i dont care about the state the plot is in as im young and dont mind hard work all help would be appreciated regards wade

wade wilson

Re: in need of help
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 23:34 »
im in the north shields area of north tyneside

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 14:03 »
Hi Wade and welcome. If you are on the council list I would keep badgering them. Ring them every month asking have you moved up the list, how near the top are you etc. Then they will know you are serious...they might even get so fed up of you calling and give you a plot to shut you up!😄 Good luck

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 16:50 »
I'd agree that being persistent pays off.  My site has a long waiting list (5 years plus), but there are still plots that never get properly used or pass from hand to hand quickly, as the reality of the work involved in an allotment hits newbies and they give up. 

Find out who your allotment officer is on the council and stay in regular touch with them  :)

wade wilson

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 18:26 »
yeah its a five year list they have put me on i mail every now and then and get know where off the so going to luck for numbers to contact private ones does anyone know any?
would it help if i knew someone with a allotment like a recommendation kind of thing?
regards wade 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 18:32 »
Visit your local site and get to know the rep, sometimes they can be helpful if you let them know that you're keen and that you really don't mind taking on an overgrown plot.

Good luck

wade wilson

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 18:43 »
thanks for the advice so far guys, i will do those things and especially since i really dont care how over grown it is as i like a challenge and def not afraid of a bit of work lol

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 18:58 »
Have you looked into land share,Hugh wot sit was involved in getting people with land together with people who wanted land. Any neighbours with big gardens they can't manage etc might be worth a try
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 20:20 »
Good luck with your wait and congrats on your willingness to put the hard work in - not everyone is so enthusiastic  :)

Just don't overdo it with the persistence; if you become a nuisance you risk jeopardising your place on the list entirely.  We operate a strict waiting list policy and so you wouldn't be allowed to jump the queue by badgering me every month ...  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wade wilson

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 22:41 »
yeah i understand i dont tend on being a nuisance well not more than i generally am lol, was just wondering if theres ways to stand out or if being recommended could improve chances

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 08:40 »
Our site is small and has no rep.  The council run it (after a fashion) and there is a waiting list, but I also know that the council has people at the top of the list for our area that turn down plot after plot, because it is not exactly what they want and plots they find very hard to let.  Make sure they understand you are ready to tackle anything offered.

If there are sites where people gang together to clear overgrown plots for re-letting, you could offer to help.  Likewise if there are community plots, a helping hand now and again might flag you up as a good prospect.

Just tread carefully.  Our site is very laid back, but you do near stories of site politics and all sorts of upsets. Be polite, friendly and keen, but not pushy and see what happens  :)

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 40 queries.