Maincrop carrots and parsnips

• 3 Replies

Gellideg

Maincrop carrots and parsnips
« on: August 26, 2017, 13:07 »
 Iwas hoping for some advice.My Royal Chanteney carrots planted on the 4th of May,and my Gladiator/Guernsey parsnips sown on the6th of May have grown really well,infact they are plenty big enough now for enjoying next winter.Can I do anything to check them ie cutting part or all of the tops off and leaving them in the ground?
I was thinking many would have had the problem over the years and would have some good suggestion to the problem.    John.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: Maincrop carrots and parsnips
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 15:33 »
We leave them alone and dig them up when we need them.
It pays to dig up a few if the ground is likely to be frozen so you can't get them out.
If they are huge you just get more for your money!

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 18:26 »
Parsnips can stay in the ground all Winter so you can dig then as you want then. You cannot control the size, just be glad they germinated and flourished. They will turn starch to sugar after the first frosts to give the true parsnip taste. If you put them closer they may not grow as big but will twist together and the roots will not grow straight.

Carrots are always a problem. Cook either complains they are too small or too big. To grow them small sow them closer together and do not thin them too much. The danger here is that if the growing season is poor you end up with lots too small.

I sow some at the usual April time and then another lot in late June/early July, they go in when the shallots are lifted. These are big enough by October to start pulling. By that time the Spring sowing will be about used up or getting eaten by slugs. The later ones will stay in the ground and keep growing most of the Winter. A prolonged spell of hard frost will freeze and spoil the crowns unless they are covered with an insulation layer such as straw.

You can lift carrots once the soil cools down and store them in sand or peat. Usually they keep OK but can get a bit dried out.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 21:47 by Salmo »

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 14:21 »
we haven't grew carrots for several years now because we always seem to get that pesky carrot fly infestation so I thought no I'm not going to give up lets have another go next year in the razed beds as our allotments is not good carrot growing ground but I'm going to fill the razed bed with a compost mix  and I've even bought a carrot fly net to [fingers crossed]

that sound like good advise from salmo I'm going to try growing my carrots  from June/early July sowings
I bought 5 varieties to try some pelleted including a variety called red samurai has anyone grew this variety?

xx
Maincrop carrots

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 14:55
by Snoop
xx
Maincrop Carrots.

Started by Grasshopper on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 22:54
by mumofstig
xx
parsnips/carrots

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 12:43
by celtbhoy
xx
Carrots and Parsnips - can anyone help

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 15:23
by SkipRat

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 38 queries.