Peas

• 12 Replies

sclarke624

Peas
« on: June 23, 2009, 16:08 »
Right I have picked all my peas.  Planted more than two seeds this year duh!  They are half pint variety which is a small one as name implies peas normal size.  Two questions:

What do I do with ones I am not having for tea, presuming I can freeze them, is it just put in bag and bung in freezer.

Secondly how do you lot eat them raw they are revolting.  Is it just this variety that are yuk when raw or is it me.  I do have a vague recollection of shelling peas with my mum when I was little and I do think I used to eat a few.

Last year I cooked the few I had from the two seeds I planted (thought you got loads from just one seed ......didn't want to go mad LOL) they weren't very nice.  Have I been spoilt by frozen shop peas or is there a variety that is nicer to taste.  OK I know thats more than two questions.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Peas
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 16:17 »
Ive never tried these SC, so cant vouch for the taste.  Did you leave them too long on the plant maybe? They are a petit pois, so should be picked as soon as ready..any later and they lose flavour which yes is revolting  :tongue2:
They are a heritage pea too, which may have some bearing on flavour - varities for the frozen market are as sweet as possible to keep the flavour.  I guess it just boils down to taste - some love fresh carrots, some hate them

You can blanch them if you want to, shell them then plunge into hot then cold water and freeze immediately, those this should be done within the hour of picking for maximum sweetness. I dont freeze peas as I love them raw, so someone should let you know the best way.  Id be inclined to just shell them and freeze them ASAP
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 16:50 »
Oh no.  They are as big as normal peas.  I was just shelling some and did come across a smaller one and that one wasn't so bad actually.  The ones I have are as hard as bullets as well.  Maybe next year the third year I will get it right.  After shelling only got enough for one meal anyway.
Sheila

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 17:13 »
On a good day, with a following wind, you need 12-15 plants per foot of row to give you just 1lb of peas.

I've got over 200 feet of peas!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 17:51 »
Peas are ready when the pods can still be squeezed but the peas inside are nearly to the size of the pods...

At least you know for next year! Be prepared for nectar  :lol: 

gillie

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 18:00 »
The variety 'Half Pint' is very old and reputedly very hardy, which makes me think it is a round seeded variety which are not as sweet as the wrinkle seeded ones.

Next time choose a wrinkle seeded variety such as Kelvendon Wonder.  Pick them young and RUN to the kitchen and cook them very fresh.

Sow successionally and I doubt that you will ever need to freeze the excess.

Cheers,

Gillie

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 18:58 »
Right didn#t know you could sow them successionaly.  Its a lot of work though popping all those pods.  If only............the grandson was a bit older hmmmm!

I used the packet up this year as didn't think much of them last year so will get a new variety for next year.

Peapod what do you mean nearly to the sixe of the pod, as the pod expands with them don't it.

Who do you get to pop all those peapods DD or do you freeze them in their pod and pop them when you want them.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 19:04 »
Theres a small amount of room for the pea still to grow 'into' the pod. The pod will only grow so large
When a pea is large enough to fill the mature pod the plant starts to die off as it thinks it has mature seeds, and the plant can then stop growing (I hope you understood that!)

Youve still got time to grow another lot of earlies such as Kelevedon Wonder or Feltham First ifyou want some this year.  I never find it a chore to pod peas, they are my fave thing (as you guessed) I can eat 3lb a day ( :blush: ), but we are all mad on peas so they never get home from the plot. Of course, I dont grow as much as DD!  :D

sclarke624

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 19:21 »
I get ya peapod and still time ...I'll think about it.  Peas plant had started to die off and had stopped growing.  So what Gillie said about it not being as sweet as a wrinkly might help me out as well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 19:26 »

Who do you get to pop all those peapods DD or do you freeze them in their pod and pop them when you want them.

Do them my self, time passes quite quickly when it's one for the pan, one for me! I blanch before freezing and wouldn't contemplate freezing in pods, they'd go all soggy!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 19:27 »
Bet the one for you is the nicest ones  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 19:28 »
'Course.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 19:35 »
'Course.
that'll be
a good day, with a following wind,
then :lol:

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
peas

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2016, 15:37
by hiccup
xx
Peas

Started by Malturn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 23:36
by cooperman

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 40 queries.