Would you risk it ?

• 5 Replies

Lardman

Would you risk it ?
« on: June 18, 2012, 18:24 »
The blade on my lawn mower is pants - you might as well shout loudly at he grass to cut it.

I tried last year to remove and sharpen it but wimped out when the bolt just wouldn't move, I've given it a little bit of welly - but it's plastic >:( and I don't want to shear the head. If it was metal I'd warm it up but Im at a complete loss - does anyone have any ideas ? Its had a good WD40 soak.

The manual is oh so very helpful

"Hold the blade Fig 6A using gardening gloves, use a spanner (not provided) to remove he blade nut Fig 6B and blade."

bolt.jpg
blade.jpg

Kleftiwallah

Re: Would you risk it ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 19:14 »

EITHER - tickle it with a leeeetle heat or go for it, shear the head off and replace with a stainless job.-  -  -  -  it works on aircraft  :ohmy: 

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 19:14 »
Can't think how to soften a plastic bolt. But can you possibly use a hand file to sharpen the blades in place?

Or, set the blade of a short flathead screwdriver against one of the bolt fins. Position the screwdriver blade so it's at the joint between the fin and the side of the bolt.
Tap the screwdriver handle sharply with a hammer. This should be more than enough force to get the plastic bolt turning.

smud6ie

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 19:43 »
I think to be in with a fighting chance you need a hex ring spanner or socket and breaker bar of a decent legth.
If you fit the spanner so it forms a "V" with the blade so when you look at it from the nut side the spanner is to the left,then use a sturdy pair of gloves,grip the blade and spanner and squeeze them together like a pair of pliers.Hopefully something should give.
smud6ie

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 21:35 »
I warmed it up a bit and put enough welly on it with a 10" spanner to round the corners  :ohmy:

I'll try again when I've picked up my large socket set from mothers but I'm beginning to think it's just not going to budge.

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 05:03 »
Most of those have a smaller bolt head inside the plastic one. In the past I've had to break off the plastic to get a decent monkey wrench onto the metal one within. I did, off course, have to buy a new bolt afterwards.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 35 queries.