Ivy reaches the roof

• 5 Replies

wneva

Ivy reaches the roof
« on: July 04, 2020, 10:03 »
Every year I used to get out the ladder and cut back the ivy that's growing on the side of our two storey Victorian house.  It was never my favourite job - at 76 I don't feel too good at the top of a ladder.  This year I haven't yet tackled this job. 

Needless to say, the ivy thrives on the pruning and is now really bushy and vigorous.  It's now reached the roof, and I'm under the impression that if I just leave it, it'll damage the roof and the guttering.  Perhaps I just have to pay someone to deal with it.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Ivy reaches the roof
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 20:45 »
Can't you chop through the stems near the ground to stop them growing even higher, then try pulling them off the wall one at a time?

The ivy I have here pulls away from brickwork quite easily, although you might have to call someone in if you think you might damage your roof and gutters by doing that.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

wneva

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 00:15 »
I tried chopping through the stems last year but somehow it had little effect.   The plant is so well established it always has a second or third feed stem that I haven't found!    But it's a good idea - think I'll have another go this year.   I'll also get the old hedge trimmer out.  Need to be a bit careful though with that when perched on a ladder...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 11:39 »
If you are going to cut it, go about halfway up and then cut it all, then leave a 10inch gap and then cut it all again.  By doing that the top half will die, leaving the lower half more manageable.   Good luck,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jezza

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 20:48 »
Hello do you know any one with a petrol engine pole hedger they can reach about 12 feet, if an extension pole is used 15 feet can be reached or  a bit higher if on a step ladder also there's extendable pole secateurs eg wolf tools  jezza

wneva

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 15:30 »
Thanks for that very helpful suggestion, Mrs Bouquet.  I've begun the job of cutting through all the upward growth just above the ground floor windows.  Not finished yet, but I've made a good start, even if the line isn't perfectly straight.  I can tidy that up as soon as it starts growing again.  I'll let you know how it goes on.   

If I knew how to reduce the size of a photo, I'd post one.  But every time I try it says attachment is too large.

Heigh ho!  Wneva

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 39 queries.