Apple advice

• 6 Replies

matt80

Apple advice
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:29 »
Hi,

I'm just setting up a fruit section on my allotment for the first time. I would like to grow apples (and plums too actually), but don't want a massive full size tree. I'd just like to be able to fan them out along wires - a height of about 2 metres would be ideal.

Can anyone recommend a rootstock for this? I've head that the smaller the rootstock, the less hardy the tree is. Will I be OK with this method on an open plot (i.e. not against a south facing wall), or will this be too exposed?

Many thanks

Fisherman

Re: Apple advice
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 10:43 »
MM106 sounds about the right type of root stock for what you are trying to do. Don't forget you need to get trees in the same pollination group unless you have plenty of apple trees near by. On a frame 2 Mts high you will get 3 - 4 layers and it takes 1 year to grow each layer. If you want to look up how to grow them check out how to espalier an apple tree. These are some dessert apples I looked at when doing the same thing.

Type                Root Stock     Pollination Group   Harvest
Discovery               MM106                        C                    Early
Fiesta               MM106                        D                    Late
Jupiter               MM106                        D                    Late
Scrumptious       MM106                        D                    Early
Sunrise               MM106                        C                    Early
Lord Lambourne       MM106                        C                   Mid Season
Sunset               MM106                        C                   Mid Season
Elstar               MM106                        D                    Late
Rajka               MM106                        D                    Late
Topaz               MM106                        D                    Late
Greensleeves       MM106                        B                    Mid Season

Didn't look like that when I typed it and its too early to have had a drink :blush:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:45 by Fisherman »

matt80

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:48 »
Thanks - need I worry about the hardiness of these smaller trees?

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 14:38 »
Not that I am aware of. The ones I planted last year survived the winter and as you know it was a cold one. Your supplier may be able to advise.

gillie

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 14:46 »
MM106 sounds too vigorous to me!  Our fruit trees are mostly on M26 - a slightly more dwarfing stock - and are now at least fifteen feet high despite some hefty pruning.  M 9 or M 27 give smaller trees but need very firm and permanent staking.  

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/apple40.html gives a list of commonly used rootstocks.  If I were you I would take expert advice from somewhere like the RHS or Brogdale.

I would not worry about hardiness in apples.  Our trees have withstood some ferocious winters (such as the last two) and give bumper crops.

Plums are a bit trickier as they are liable to die of silver leaf disease and pruning makes this worse.  While the trees are hardy a late frost will destroy the plum crop for that year.

matt80

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 15:15 »
Thanks all. That's a shame about plums as I really love them, but it sounds like it might not be a good idea to grow on my stakes and wire system? Are there any other fruits (other than raspberries and apples) that I should consider in such a system?

gillie

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 16:04 »
Try plums on the dwarfing rootstock, Pixie, but be prepared for them to be fairly short lived or search out a resistant variety.  Victoria is notoriously prone to silver leaf.

How about a morello cherry? They are a bit too tart to eat raw but make wonderful pies and sauces.  Or pears? they take a while to come into bearing but we have a Beurre Hardy which performs regularly now.

xx
advice on apple tree

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2010, 15:34
by evie2
xx
More apple pruning advice, please

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 14, 2018, 16:26
by Lardman
xx
advice on moving some apple trees

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 04, 2012, 11:55
by TerryB
xx
Pruning apple tree advice

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 15, 2017, 12:46
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 37 queries.