Keeping seed potatoes

• 2 Replies

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Keeping seed potatoes
« on: August 30, 2011, 00:31 »
Hi Spud growers.. I'm new to spuds this year and have grown some good tasty ones... I have a few questions..

Is it better to buy new seed next season or Is it worth keeping my own seed? Assuming yes to the latter... Will they keep from now till March in my normal shed stored in cardboard boxes covered up in old carpets to keep Jack Frost out?  I dont have any hessian sacks..

What are the best size to keep? I have quite a few that are golf ball and below in size...

Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Keeping seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:08 »
This thread from Salmo a few years back is worthy of a repeat. Then make your own mind up. Seed spuds are cheap enough, but if yu want to run the risk.......

Please excuse me while I have a minor rant as lax crop hygiene on plots is something I get steamed up about.

On every bag of seed potatoes there is a certification number which allows them to be traced back to the grower if there is a problem.

The seed certification scheme in the UK is very robust. Seed potatoes are only grown in areas where aphids do not thrive as they carry all sorts of viruses. That is at high altitude or a long way north and that is why most seed is Scottish. Every crop is inspected several times while it is growing and those with disease are rejected and cannot be sold as certified seed.

Saving and planting seed for a second year is usual agricultural practice. To do this for a 3rd and 4th year is risking a build up of virus and disease.

Planting left over spuds from the supermarket or using peelings is asking for big trouble because you do not know if they are carrying disease. There are all sorts of nasties such as potato root eelworm and blackleg that you really do not want. Low levels of infection will not be obvious but eventually they will build up. Rotation helps but on the small scale of our gardens and allotments soil is easily carried on tools, barrows and boots.

A nasty souce of infection are self sown potatoes and potatoes growing in compost heaps. Dig them out and destroy if only to cut down blight infection.

I have little sympathy with any individual who gets infections through lack of hygiene but please have regard for your neighbours to whom your infections will spread.

For those who are sceptical look at the big problem with club root in brassicas on allotments and be warned.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Keeping seed potatoes
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 09:23 »
Thanks for the thread.. I did a search and didn't fid much.. Ill study it now..

On looking at it I think i'll just buy them in as they are only a few quid for a bag full!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:26 by gavinjconway »

xx
Potatoes,keeping qualities

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 23:12
by Annie
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Seed Potatoes

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 13, 2008, 20:38
by gobs
xx
3KG seed potatoes £2.95

Started by MOLUSC on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post January 26, 2010, 15:33
by DD.

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 29 queries.