Getting Naga Chillies to set fruit

• 5 Replies

Dai

• Experienced Member
Getting Naga Chillies to set fruit
« on: August 29, 2013, 18:41 »
Hi all.
Is anyone growing Nagas? and if so are they producing chillis? Im having a real hard time getting them to set fruit and i dont know why? I also have lemon drops and Trinidadian scorpions which are producing without a problem but the nagas are being a pain.
Ive heared about misting them and also using epsom salts which ive tried but im still having no luck with them.

Any advice would be welcomed with open arms, Cheers!

BabbyAnn

Re: Getting Naga Chillies to set fruit
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 20:20 »
I'm growing a few Nagas and I have to confess they are not as prolific as any of the other chillies.  I've definitely got some on the Dorset Naga, Spanish Naga, Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia but not sure about the Naga Viper (all the plants have grown quite a lot and it's not been that easy to see under all that foliage especially as most are well over 3 feet tall and with being on tables are now hitting the ceiling LOL)

I have most of my chillies growing in the polytunnel and an overspill in a small glass greenhouse - the polytunnel can get very humid regardless of whether I have time to give them a daily misting or not so that might be helping, and the sunny weather has kept the temperatures well up too and until recently, even night temperatures hadn't dropped below 15oC for several weeks.  About once a week I put a little Epsom salts in the sprayer, and every other week, give all the plants a weak tomato feed.  Every morning I give all the branches on the plants a good shake before spraying

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 12:07 »
Mine are doing fine. Its odd that others are OK, but the Nagas are not playing. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong in terms of care.

BP
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 18:36 »
Thanks for the info!
I think mine are Bhut Jolokias but they are nowhere near as big as yours babbyann, they are currently on a south facing windowsill and are about 2 foot tall including the pot, quite small compared to my lemon drops which are 4 foot monsters!

I shall take your advice and start misting them more often and with epsom salts once a week.

Can anyone tell me tho what epsom salts do for the plants? other than cure magnesium deficiency?

Thanks again!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 18:39 »
magnesium helps with fruit set  ;)

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 12:53 »
I grew 3 Bhut Jolokia plants and have had about 20 chillis from one plant theres a few coming on the others too....started them off indoors and then into polytunnel! crikey they are hot too!!!

xx
Dorset Naga chillies

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 01:30
by Endymion
xx
Naga Jolokia Chillies

Started by Philip King on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 03:44
by Philip King
clip
Dorset Naga

Started by nate987 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2018, 18:05
by Aidy
xx
Naga Chilli - Will they overwinter?

Started by snails2go on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 11, 2011, 19:03
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 28 queries.