Fennel

• 6 Replies

Belle Windsor-Jenkins

Fennel
« on: May 12, 2019, 21:04 »
Am trying to grow fennel from seed.  Keep being told I need to throw these out and try start again.

Are they beyond hope or should I give them a bit more time in the glasshouse? 
111EBC49-F59E-46EF-ADC8-688C252EDD90.jpeg
Belle

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
Re: Fennel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 21:36 »
Difficult to tell, they obviously look very leggy and that is probably not good!  But i do remember growing fennel one year and coming back after i'd planted them out to find they d all been nibbled to nothing, I left them and lo and behold they came back and thrived so perhaps the answer might be to cut them back and see what happens?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 21:44 »
Is that herb or bulb (Florence) fennel?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Belle Windsor-Jenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 06:46 »
Yes, Florence fennel. 

Have been told to try planting deep?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 07:55 »
Not at all sure what's happened to your plants, but in any event neither Florence nor herb fennel takes kindly to transplanting, especially at that size.

It is inclined to bolt if sown too early - I'd recommend starting again by sowing directly outdoors in your chosen growing position (I don't sow mine until mid-June so plenty of time, although some varieties are more suited to sowing earlier than that.)

jambop

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 12:08 »
Not at all sure what's happened to your plants, but in any event neither Florence nor herb fennel takes kindly to transplanting, especially at that size.

It is inclined to bolt if sown too early - I'd recommend starting again by sowing directly outdoors in your chosen growing position (I don't sow mine until mid-June so plenty of time, although some varieties are more suited to sowing earlier than that.)

Wot he said ! Also it is a nice bit of stuff to have for the salad or to roast but I found the problem is it does bolt very quickly once it bulbs, so if you grow a row of it be prepared to either scoff loads of it or have to put some on the compost heap... it also does not like being thirsty. I think the best way to grow it is to prepare a nice deep row which is weed free and well enriched with compost and manure. Then station sow three or four seeds every 200 - 250 mm once they are away you can take out the ones you don't need.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:12 by jambop »

Mr Dog

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 16:22 »
A good rule of thumb for Florence Fennel is 'don't sow until the days are getting shorter'. Amigo is an excellent variety for bolt resistance but seeds are not so easy to get hold of a present.

xx
fennel

Started by Storeman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 13:52
by bonfire
xx
Fennel

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 10:16
by Sadgit
xx
Fennel

Started by Tattyanne456 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2009, 13:02
by Babyshoes
xx
is your fennel up?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 16:21
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 40 queries.