Please lets help the wildlife

• 26 Replies

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
Re: Please lets help the wildlife
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 19:14 »
I found a lovely big frog in my tiny, tiny pond today, I was delighted  :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 19:40 »
That's good BobandJack. :)

The bigger they are, the more slugs they've eaten  :D

Rob 8)

FCG

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 18:28 »
I have several acres of fields around me, however until recently they where mostly wild beasts with massive amounts of wildlife in. They all but a few got turned into playing fields... but I help where I can. I know that I have some butterflies on my courgettes.. they can stay :D

By they way one of the best thing you can do for wildlife in this country is to plant trees on waste ground. It can render a lot of land that would be exploited for financial gain for some white elephant protected after x amount of years. I personally have planted over 50 trees :D Some as long as 12 years ago. If you ever travel around north cheshire and the wirral and see some young conker trees well... my bad :D

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 19:10 »
Mike I understand what you mean about waste ground, but while you are doing this you are upsetting a possible ecosystem that may be saved due to wildlife using it.  What looks like waste ground isnt always- it might be a pocket of heathland that can be regenerated or home for a tiny area of bogland.  Trees are great but they arent always the answer.  There are other important ecological areas that may be destroyed by trees, and I wish people would remember that.  The best thing to do would be to check carefully for wildlife there and see if theres anything rare or unusual before you plant away.  Then the wasteland can be put to another use - not least a protected area
Sorry if you disagree!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 22:21 »
I was at a wildlife nature reserve today and one of the points being made on the signs around was that 'wild' ground needs careful management.  In fact they have to take out lots of trees or they take too much water from the ground, destroying habitat.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

poultrygeist

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 11:49 »
Open heathland is one of the most endangered. In Clumber Par, the national trust cleared large areas of trees years ago to return it to heath.

Rob 8)

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 13:42 »
I purposefully leave weeds around the margins of my beds and round the back of the greenhouse to encourage diversity, as well as planting flowers to attract bees.

Last week I dug a pond and was very pleased to see two frogs in there the next day, saying that we have loads of frogs about anyway so it's not really a big surprise.

Best of all, I found a lizard yesterday, which is the first one I have seen this year. In the past we have seen both lizards and slowworms. I thought the very cold spell had killed both of them off, but obviously not. I am still waiting for the slowworms to reappear though.

Elaine G

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 23:25 »
That brings back a good memory Faz!
We dug out a pond and put in a rigid liner. It rained that night, and the next morning, in the inch of rain at the bottom, was a newt! Where did he come from?
Fortunately there are still one or two in our pond.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

celini

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 08:59 »
Hi everyone. I am glad I found this post. I am doing just that, in my front garden. A wild area about 10 foot long and 3 foot wide with cariouse ornamental grass, flowers that bees like, budlia for butterflies.

I also have a wild bit in the back garden for wild life like field mice, etc, They all have to make a living.

I agree you don't want them on your crop but they do need places to live because we do incroach on their space and not the otehr way around.

When My wild area is all planted up i will put pictures on to show you. but haven't finished it yet because it is quite a large area to plant ans some seeds haven't come up yet. Sown som poppies and some corn flowers too for the wild life. Because I love sitting in the front garden early in the morning and watch them.

Cheers
CC
Friends are like gems. The more you have the less you value them.

Ruby Red

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 20:14 »
 Well done celini, everybody should be able to find a bit of garden to give over to helping them out. :D
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

celini

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 05:20 »
ty ruby. Me and hubby measured the wild bit yesterday and it is more like 25-30 foot long the length of the garden abd about 2-3 foot wide.  The grass we planted there yesterday will be perfect habitat for field mice and birds to nestin. I am going to start feeding them too so they get used to get fed here. i am usually up at the crack of dawn and get to see a lot of the wild life before people wake up. I feel more cofortable around animals than I do people most of the time.

Cheers

CC

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 07:31 »
Working in 280 acers of country park i think i do my bit for the wild life, we carry out a range of task to help. Grassland management Woodland management and Reed management to name but a few.  We have a small pond with upto 15 frogs around at the most at the plot.
Thanks
Kris

xx
Lets Be(e) friends & butterflies of course

Started by Dopey113 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 06:40
by tosca100
xx
happy Christmas to all my growing friends lets hope for another great season

Started by ricky on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post December 26, 2014, 12:04
by snowdrops
xx
Wildlife on the plot

Started by dub dub on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 19:23
by sion01
xx
wildlife on the fuchsia!

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 08:18
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 39 queries.