Sweet Pea Advice

• 5 Replies

Donnay

• Experienced Member
Sweet Pea Advice
« on: March 08, 2015, 19:52 »
I'm new to growing sweet peas and need some advice please. I have grown my sweet peas in root trainers and they are now falling over, they are about 10cm long. When do I plant them out and is it ok for them to fall over until planted out?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet Pea Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 20:07 »
How many pairs of leaves do you have on them so far?  You can pinch them out to make them bush out more.

They are pretty hardy plants but given the general ambient temperature at this time of year (don't be fooled by one warm weekend) they will need a considerable amount of hardening off over 2-3 weeks before you do put them outside.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 11:01 »
When they have several leaves, I nip out the stem below the growing point with my fingers. As Yorkie says, this makes them produce stronger and bushier plants which equals more flowers.  :D Mine tend to flop as they grow even after doing this but have been ok. If you keep the pots close to each other, their tendrils can tangle them together which may help them support each other, but they can be separated with care and nimble fingers before planting.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Donnay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 20:44 »
I have nipped the tops out, I will leave for a few weeks and hopefully they will be ok. When do you plant out?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 08:48 »
According to the RHS you should plant them out after the 'final spring frost', although I don't really know what that phrase means in practice.  :unsure:

They are much tougher than they look, and if properly hardened off should be OK outdoors in a few weeks time unless we are having another really cold spell of weather at the time.

I used to sow them directly into the soil in early March with few problems, although I now sow them indoors about now (yesterday in fact  :lol:) to make sure they get off to a good start.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 12:35 »
They are quite hardy plants but I would have a look to see if any roots are coming out of the bottom. If there are quite a few and the weather is very cold, I would pot on to be sure.

xx
Sweet pea advice please!

Started by Donnay on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 17:42
by Donnay
xx
sweet pea

Started by chickpeacurry on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 19:12
by mumofstig
xx
Sweet Pea

Started by puravida on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 20:23
by gobs
xx
sweet pea

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2022, 09:17
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 36 queries.