Good or bad idea ?

• 12 Replies

Lardman

Good or bad idea ?
« on: March 20, 2009, 20:32 »
Cut back some brambles yesterday they come in from next door and root all over the place. I've just been cutting them back and burning them. I was wondering if its possible to tame the beast and perhaps replant some of the rooted bits and train them along lengths of wire?

Its a bit of a thug and has REALLY nasty thorns, but the berrys are very nice.

Good or Bad idea?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Good or bad idea ?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 20:38 »
If you train it properly, then why not if you like the berries and don't mind the thorns.  :)

Make sure the tips don't touch the floor  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 21:36 »
Apparently there are loads of wild species plus cultivars and hybrids, if you find a good one it makes sense to grow it rather than an indifferent all be it named variety.

Properly trained it should not be a problem
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

iwantanallotment

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 01:11 »
I've been cutting mine back for years Lardman, and they still come back twice as strong, widespread and vibrant each Spring. Think they actually enjoy the pruning  :tongue2:
I've tried burning, Jeyes Fluid, allsorts. But the berries are divine in a pie with apples  :)
If you can find a way to train them so that they don't invade your ground yet you can still enjoy the berries, that sounds perfectly ideal.
As Richy says - if none of it is allowed to touch the ground, it can't take root elsewhere & thereby spread.
Good luck - great idea! Keep us posted?

Brambles

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 03:33 »
You really do have to keep on top of containing them, they get everywhere if not :tongue2:   Just turn your back for one day and you have another bush.   But also have to agree that the berries are delish :D

paintedlady

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 09:53 »
Personally I would get rid of them and replace with a thornless variety if you like blackberries that much.  Cultivated varieties tend to have bigger fruit (do check), are not as expensive as you think, and there is less risk of them spreading out of control  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Moosey

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 09:57 »
I'm trying to tame one in our Garden.  Its been out of control for years and I can't believe how far it managed to spread  ???

Give it a go!  If it dosent work get rid and try something else!  :D
We all have wings but some of us don't know why.

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 10:32 »
We have them come from under nextdoors fence all the time. Roundup won't even look at it. :mad:
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 18:49 »
Personally I would get rid of them and replace with a thornless variety if you like blackberries that much.  Cultivated varieties tend to have bigger fruit (do check), are not as expensive as you think, and there is less risk of them spreading out of control  ;)
I have thornless blackberries in my garden, they 'came with the house', they have very little flavour at all. Give me thorns and flavour any day!
A friend of mine has wild one's trained to a cross bar on posts, and while they have some canes nearly an inch across (not including thorns!) they are quite well behaved as a result. AFAICT she treats them the same as raspberries.
If I can identify a particular bramble as having yummy fruit, I will do the same. (I don't know what hers taste like tbh)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 20:18 »
I've saved a few bits with roots on from the incinerator and stuck them in a pot, I'll plant them out when Im sure they're still alive and I got some posts.

These runners have come in from next door - about 12ft of growth in 12months, so if it goes wrong theres plenty more I can try from next year :)

Theres a old apple tree up there too, its in a bit of state though - apple and blackberry pie ... mmmmmm

I thought Id have a go at this sort of thing http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8206.html  I have to agree with woodburner - I really don't mind the thorns, small price to pay for a berry that tastes like its supposed to - so little does lately.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 10:59 »
I train my blackberry one way one year the opposite the next, then I know which canes to chop each year  ;)

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 12:47 »
We have brambles that travel up the garden from the railway embankment and have cracked through the patio concrete. I think it'll take a nuclear bomb to get rid of them.

cAnAry53

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 09:33 »
Tied mine up a post and wire fence at bottom of allotment ,keeps them tidy and also makes a good barrier against vandals etc.

xx
Well seemed like a good idea at the time

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 16:39
by PennyS
xx
It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Started by Annen on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post October 19, 2012, 07:20
by Growster...
xx
Raised Beds - not always a good idea?

Started by Griffo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 12:38
by Kristen
xx
Grass paths. Good or bad idea?

Started by theakston_uk on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 12:53
by Ivah

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 38 queries.