Garden Climbers -replacments

• 22 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Garden Climbers -replacments
« on: April 19, 2015, 18:10 »
I've just bought a Clematis Perle d'Azur and a Montana Broughton Star.
The first one to replace the rose that died on one side of the garden entry arch and the second to replace the Jasmine on the end fence, that has never done well. Fingers crossed the garden will look better next year.

The beautiful Madame Grégoire Staechelin rose I had growing on the house wall has died as well it had blackspot last year - must have been worse than I thought.
Not sure what to grow there instead - as it is next to the front door.

Anyone got any ideas?

jaydig

Re: Garden Climbers -replacments
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:36 »
If you want another rose, and have enough room to dig out a reasonable sized pit to replace the soil where the other one grew, you might like to try Mm. Alfred Carriere. It is almost, but not quite, thornless, flowers throughout the summer with beautiful, loose double creamy flowers with a tiny hint of creamy pink and a heavenly scent. Even the foliage is scented. It grows quickly and is extremely healthy. I love it so much I've got two in my garden.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:58 »
Nice thought, and yes, it is lovely - I have it growing on the other side of the door.
Whatever killed the MGS doesn't seem to have bothered the MAC. Fingers crossed it stays that way  :)

Unfortunately, I can't make the hole any bigger - it's in the public footpath  :lol:

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 14:57 »
Nice thought, and yes, it is lovely - I have it growing on the other side of the door.
Whatever killed the MGS doesn't seem to have bothered the MAC. Fingers crossed it stays that way  :)

Unfortunately, I can't make the hole any bigger - it's in the public footpath  :lol:

Is there space for a star jasmine (trachelospermum jasminoides). They're not too rampant, evergreen and again, have a wonderful scent for weeks on end in the summer.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 15:15 »
trachelospermum jasminoides

took one look and have to have ! perfect for an arch I have  ,make a change from sweet peas every year . Thanks for the idea  :D
I cook therefore I grow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 16:17 »
I'll have a look at that one's requirements, thank you  :)

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 17:27 »
Have you had a look at the akebia ? It's not heavily scented but the one I have covers well and is currently an absolute mass of purple clusters.  Seems hardy enough and doesn't mind me taking the hedge trimmer to it rather than pruning properly.

catllar

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 19:47 »
Trachelospermum jasminoides needs a well drained but rich soil, I've got some growing on south walls and also on east facing walls and west facing walls  - can you tell I like them?  Needs  protection from wind and frost. If it gets cold it may drop some leaves or else they will change colour- reddish, then drop off when it warms up. needs winter protection until it grows up.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 20:26 »
Thanks for the info Catllar both sites I have in mind can provide that . I also have the option to cover in fleece in winter in both locations ! £7 for 2 plants not a major risk ,it's worth a try  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 20:44 »
  Needs  protection from wind and frost.

That rules that out then - the way the terrace runs, winds either from the SW or NE whistle along it  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 17:28 »
Has anyone any experience of Clematis armandii, I like the look of the pink tinged one plus it's evergreen  :unsure:

sarajane

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 20:06 »
No but clematis Balearic has lovely dainty leaves,is evergreen and mine is just starting to finish flowering. It first started mid January and has been covered with flowers.

Eblana

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 22:38 »
Has anyone any experience of Clematis armandii, I like the look of the pink tinged one plus it's evergreen  :unsure:

I have a Clematis armandii growing up through a tree which is in a north facing bed.  It was quite slow to get going but it is absolutely beautiful now (in its third year) and it is now romping away and has been covered in flowers for ages.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 06:24 »
Thank you  :)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 16:51 »
I have had Clematis Armandii too and would recommend it, the only downside is that it won't survive a really cold winter.

xx
Growing climbers in VERY exposed coastal garden

Started by Lesleyk on General Gardening

27 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 19:13
by Lesleyk
xx
climbers dogs don't like??

Started by Dawnuss on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 14:16
by Dawnuss
xx
quickest climbers please

Started by twisha on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 18:14
by catllar
xx
Suggestions for Climbers

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post November 14, 2018, 15:49
by jaydig

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.