lemon tree

• 4 Replies

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
lemon tree
« on: September 10, 2011, 14:59 »
I wonder if someone can guide me as to what to do about my lemon tree.

Earlier in the season (around may/june) the newer leaves on my new lemon tree started to turn a mottled sort of yellow. I thought it may have been down to lack of nutients, even though it was planted into fresh ericacious compost in a large pot as was my orange tree. So since then, I have periodically fed it with citric fruit feed, but nothing has changed the colour.

In that time, the orange tree I bought at the same time, has done fine, producing new green leaves, and new flowers....even flowering now. The lemon tree has not produced any new leaves, and deffinately no flowers....so, what can be causing the problem.

I have now ruled out lack of nutrients, so what causes yellow leaves ????

I have brought both trees into the conservatory for the winter (strong wind forecast this weekend)

Lemon tree leaves
SL380835.JPG

catllar

Re: lemon tree
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 20:32 »
Just wondering why you have it in ericacious compost? We grow ours in the ground in ordinary garden soil, if anything veering to the othe end of the spectrum. Is it perhaps getting waterlogged - cos they like a lot of moisture but hate having wet feet, so lots of drainage. Have you checked it for spider mite on the back of the leaves? I just use a general purpose feed on mine too. Also you say it is a new tree - had it been nice and snug in a greenhouse and then you cruelly shove it outside -it's likely to sulk and turn yellow in that case too.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 22:12 »
Catlar is right in that the tree probably didn't like being put outside, and that there is possibly red spider mite on the leaves as well..... possibly from when you bought it even.

Something else to think about (sounds silly given the recent weather I know) but is it in strong sun for long periods? Leaves only stay fresh and green if they have partial shade in my experience.

(and they do not need ericaceous soil --- that may be affecting the absorption of the nutrients from the citrus feed you are giving it)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:55 »
Thanks for the replies

Sorry....my mistake, it wasnt put in ericaceous compost. I was getting mixed up with my blueberry and cranberry plants which I potted up at the same time. It was deffinately planted in general multipurpose compost.

I did put it straight outside in full sun....in april may, when we had that sunny dry spell....even though it was a bit chilly at night

I checked it for red spider mite and all is clear, and its not water logged as it has plenty of drainage. The care instructions for it were to water and feed well, but let compost get on the dry side before each watering !!!. Even though I`ve never let it dry out, its always been moist

Do you think it will recover now I`ve brought it into the conservatory.

Also, what is the best process for putting it out in the garden next year, I dont want the same problem again , weakening the tree
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:58 by lfcevans »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 18:06 »
Next year, harden it off like you would any tender plants you are intending to plant out ie out in the day, but not in direct sun or the leaves scorch, back in at night and then slowly accustom to some sun for part of the day.

My lemon has sun from early morning unitl about 2:30 pm at the the height of summer, and the leaves stay green, fruit ripens slowly , which is normal.

The one Mr Sunny has down thr garden gets sun from around 11:00 am through to last thing at night. leaves are yellower than my one.

Both are fed and watered the same.

xx
Sick lemon tree

Started by Penny Finn on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 07:18
by sunshineband
wireless
2yr old lemon tree problem

Started by SamT on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 18:18
by SamT
xx
Lemon Tree Not Flowering

Started by LittleRedHen on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 19:08
by SG6
xx
white spots on lemon tree leaves

Started by suesowsseed on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 14:49
by suesowsseed

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 38 queries.