Runner / French bean paranoia..

• 3 Replies

jsgreen89

Runner / French bean paranoia..
« on: June 25, 2014, 10:11 »
This year I'm growing French and Runner beans, 3 poles direct in the ground, and 6 more in two large plastic tubs.

The runners reached the top of the canes a couple of weeks back, and the French on one pole has got ~75% of the way up. Now I realise it's early days and the plants will "bulk out" from their rather spindly form but I'm slightly concerned that the French bean is starting to set, I can already see 4 or 5 beans of ~1" in length, especially since it hasn't even reached the top of the cane. So two questions really:

1) Is this a problem at all? I'm obviously going to pick these right away once they're an edible size, but should I be removing them straight away at this stage to encourage plant growth to the top of the cane at least?
2) Since the plants haven't bulked out yet, should I just leave well alone, or maybe feed and water with a low-Nitrogen mix?

I'm sure I'll be overun with beans in a few weeks time, but that won't stop me being paranoid  :unsure:

Goosegirl

Re: Runner / French bean paranoia..
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:53 »
They start producing flowers lower down then you get lots more "side shoots" being produced higher up as they grow, plus more from below. This also bulks the growth out. Just pick them when they're ready, then be prepared for a glut!  ;)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jsgreen89

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 17:28 »
They start producing flowers lower down then you get lots more "side shoots" being produced higher up as they grow, plus more from below. This also bulks the growth out. Just pick them when they're ready, then be prepared for a glut!  ;)

Thanks! I'll bide my time..  :dry:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 18:17 »
I started picking when they were only two thirds of the way up the poles, now I can't reach the top ones and have to get OH. He was worrying that we had a couple of gaps but they have filled in now. Just eat them when they are ready and enjoy them....you will soon have so many you will be sick of them! :lol:

xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
question
French & Runner Bean Problem

Started by gedgemeister on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 23:07
by Jackypam
xx
french and runner bean question

Started by midmarman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2013, 21:52
by carlrmj
xx
Runner / French Bean Comparison

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2014, 20:04
by Lottiman

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 35 queries.