sour crop advice please

• 7 Replies

SL

sour crop advice please
« on: March 14, 2014, 12:52 »
My lovely Maggie who's  a 14 month old Colombian blacktail is looking very poorly. She started looking ill a week or so ago with all the symptoms of egg peritonitis. I took her to the vet who has given her a 2 week course of antibiotic tablets (amoxicillin) plus metacam (anti-inflammatory?). she has been on these for 5 days now and I think the swelling around her undercarriage has reduced slightly. However, she now has a huge swollen crop which feels full and watery. It has been getting worse for a couple of days so this morning I drained her crop (by holding her upside down and massaging).
Out came a massive amount of revolting stinking matter, fermented food etc almost certainly sour crop. Just the smell of doing it nearly made me sick!
I have tried to give her some olive oil and warm water as I have read that this can help, but it proved incredible difficult. I managed to get a small amount into her by syringe but she wasn't keen.

She's hardly eating at all, has lost lots of weight, and just stand quietly on her own.

Has anyone experienced this? Could she get better or am I fighting a losing battle?

Any help / advice appreciated....

BabbyAnn

Re: sour crop advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 13:40 »
I've not had experience of sour crop so I think it best to leave that to the more experienced to give you better advice.

What you might want to take into account is that the antibiotics have killed off the good bacteria in the crop, and allowed yeasts to get a hold.  I wonder if including probiotics in the feed might be an idea / ACV in the water to lower pH?

SL

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 17:58 »
I think you're right that antibiotics can kill the good bacteria in the crop. I think she had it brewing before the antibiotics as I had noticed her crop was larger than normal and very watery but think that the tablets have certainly made it worse.

I will put some ACV in their water - that's a good idea, they often have it anyway.

I bought some plain live yogurt today for her as I've read that can help too. I will see if she'll eat some tomorrow or maybe mix some with some warm mash which she likes

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 19:48 »
One of our hens had sour crop and was looking rather poorly, (after clearing the muck from her crop) I fed her with probiotic yogurt (125g), mixed with a crushed garlic clove and crushed layers pellets. I think I had also separated her from the rest of the flock. She made a full recovery, good luck. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 21:06 by Lastcast »

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 08:49 »
Has the stuck egg been removed? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 05:17 »
if you take a look in our FAQ section you will find advice on sour crop along with lots of other ailments advice.
Here is a link to the digestive problems section.
Staffies are softer than you think.

SL

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 07:55 »
Sassy - the vet said he didn't think there was an had laid egg stuck inside. She had laid a few soft shelled eggs prior to the illness but always the entire (soft) shell came out.

She in now eating so little that she will only eat a few beakfuls of the yogurt and mash mix I make for her. Not sure what to do for her really, she so quiet and lethargic. I can't see her recovering to be honest.
She is such a lovely chicken I really don't want to lose her, she spends most evenings sitting on my son's lap watching TV!

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 19:48 »
It does sound as though you are doing your very best for her. :(

xx
Sour Crop - Any Advice Please?

Started by Skywise on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:33
by joyfull
xx
Sour Crop. Advice welcome.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 10:06
by orchardlady
xx
Sour crop I think. advice please

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 07:30
by BigMark
xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 39 queries.