Sweetcorn

• 29 Replies

wapello

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn
« on: August 03, 2016, 19:45 »
 How can i tell when my sweetcorn is ripe, i have 3 cobs per plant and  some are quite large,
 is when the cob tassle's die  back,?
Colin

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 20:32 »
It's when the tassels turn a khaki colour

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 20:33 »
 thank you,,, :)

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 22:18 »
Yes & also peel back the leaves & insert a thumb nail into a kernel if the juice is milky white it's ready to pick
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 15:01 »
I wouldn't rely on the tassels as they often die back way before the corn is fully developed in my experience. I always peel one back and check the kernels are full sized and golden coloured rather than pale yellow.

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 21:54 »
Blimey your sweetcorn is early. I need another month of sun up here before I have a chance of a ripened cob  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 08:43 »
After a rollercoaster of a ride in June and July my Earlibird are about where they usually are in early August - although sown and planted out together they have grown at slightly different rates, some have tassels which have just about given their all, some are only just about to straighten out and deliver their pollen.

Similarly, some have fully developed silks, others have yet to appear - hopefully the slight difference in growth will improve overall pollination, although it has been a bit too windy here over the past few days, and likely to be again tomorrow and possibly beyond.

We shall see - I definitely favour the 'peel back and squeeze a kernel' test to test for ripeness, using a Stanley knife to make as small an incision as possible to protect the cob.

Some varieties have a lighter cob colour than others even when ripe.

Certainly looking better than last year, when the first cobs weren't ready until late September, and some didn't ripen at all!  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 09:44 »
  TB,        Thats the sunny Isle of Wight for you,,,,, ::) :D :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:47 by wapello »

Beekissed

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 11:50 »
We generally wait until the silk is dark brown, almost black, then feel the actual ear of corn through the shuck to see if it's "full" clear down to the tip.  Peeling back the shuck can leave that corn open to bug use, so we avoid that method of judging ripeness. 

Been eating our sweetcorn here for a few weeks and have more picking to do today.  It's GOOD!  Will likely can/bottle up the rest of it. 

wighty

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 15:44 »
  TB,        Thats the sunny Isle of Wight for you,,,,, ::) :D :D

Don't tell them all our secrets Colin, or we'll be over-run with more of those pesky Overners and Grockles! :D

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 17:58 »
Yes & also peel back the leaves & insert a thumb nail into a kernel if the juice is milky white it's ready to pick

and if the juice is clear it is not.

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 18:52 »
 Sorry ginny fogot about that, will leave my towel on the deck chair the night before,,,,

How was the mackerel,?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 20:11 »
What impressed me more than the earliness of Sweetcorn in the Isle of Wight was the three cobs per plant bit. I grow mine, out of necessity, in the Polytunnel but I rarely get even two cobs per plant

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 19:17 »
Is anyone else getting three cobs per plant? That news from IoW has depressed me. I'm overjoyed if I get the odd plant with two cobs; and that's in a polytunnel!

jaydig

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 20:37 »
Is anyone else getting three cobs per plant? That news from IoW has depressed me. I'm overjoyed if I get the odd plant with two cobs; and that's in a polytunnel!

I'm getting three cobs on most of my sweetcorn plants, and they're ready for picking now.  The variety is Mirai Picnic from Dobies.  I don't know if you can get them from any other supplier. Another thing i've noticed with these is that in addition to the pollen carrying sprays at the top of each plant, most of them also have addition ones lower down, nearer the silks of the cobs, so the pollination seems to be very good. Last year my sweetcorn was a disaster with most of the cobs only being partially pollinated and very few kernels in them, so it's great to have a good crop.

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 21:25
by poohpouri
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 14:19
by alwayshopeful
xx
sweetcorn

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 12:49
by beesrus
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by suecoops on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 23:03
by muntjac

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 39 queries.