Potatoes flowers

• 17 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Potatoes flowers
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 21:55 »
I thought that when the flowers die, that's a sign that the potatoes are ready to dig up. So how would you know when they are ready to dig up if you have removed the flowers?

Ideally, you should have noted when you planted the seed tubers, then leave it an appropriate length of time from then depending on the type of potato (I heard on Gardeners World last week that it's 90 days for first early varieties, 100 days for second early varieties, and 120 days for maincrops - but have heard different timescales from other sources, although this gives you an idea).  Then you stick a fork or hand in and have a rummage  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 00:25 »
I remove potato flowers for two reasons:  1 the plant requires energy to turn the flowers into tomato-like seeds.  2.  I do not need to remove the seeds after they form.
I am happy to concede that it possibly has little effect on overall yields.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 12:11 »
Ideally, you should have noted when you planted the seed tubers, then leave it an appropriate length of time from then depending on the type of potato (I heard on Gardeners World last week that it's 90 days for first early varieties, 100 days for second early varieties, and 120 days for maincrops - but have heard different timescales from other sources, although this gives you an idea).  Then you stick a fork or hand in and have a rummage  :D
If you do a little research on the varieties you plant you should have an idea of when to start harvesting. The flowers indicate tuber initiation, so you know they starting to form.
With first early varieties, some can be ready to start harvesting after as little as 70 days but 90 is a fair estimate.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

xx
potatoes..flowers or no flowers

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 21:07
by hanssg
xx
No flowers on potatoes

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 17:15
by DD.
xx
Potatoes still have no flowers

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 08:20
by New shoot
xx
Flowers on potatoes

Started by HHH on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 13:46
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 42 queries.