Qualcast Cultimatic De luxe cultivator / rotavator - pulley sizes Please help!

• 67 Replies

Mr C.

It's not that surprising about the lack of bearings when you think about it:

The main drive pulley runs attached to the drive shaft so doesn't need one. The drive shaft itself will have one of course. The same goes for the large final drive V disc.

The idler pulley doesn't come up against much force - it merely pushes a belt up from being very loose to being a bit less loose. Greasing its' shaft must suffice.

The reverse pulley shaft is kept greased by the use of the grrease nipple, but this pulley only runs under load for short periods when manouvering.

Mr C.

Hi again Vic,
I've had my idle pulley off today and can definitely confirm it has no bearing.
The pulley internal bore is lined with a copper sleeve which runs directly on to the steel rod.
Interesting as this pulley is not equipped with any means of lubrication either.
I gave it a clean and a grease while I was at it, but there were no distinct signs of wear on it, so it works somehow.

I presume it is simply running a soft metal onto a hard one in the same way that a cars engine runs soft white metal for a shell bearing on the big end of its' pistons. If it fails, the soft metal goes west before it takes the main components of the engine out.

By the way, I'm impressed that you've had this thing from new. Can you remember what it cost back then (just out of interest)?

Mike

Gardener1

Hi Mike
Thanks for the info.  That confirms it then.  It is just an oilite type bush in the alloy pulley. The grease will help.  I am still hoping to find an alloy flat face pulley though.  There are lots of plastic ones with bearings and of different sizes on ebay.  I may have to buy one and find an oilite bush of the right bore!  I see a visit to my local bearings company coming up...
I can't remember what I paid but a figure of £175 comes to mind.  If I find my manual I think I still have the receipt!

smud6ie

What you have discovered is just another form of  bearing and probably similar to one these and explains the absence of aditional means of lubrication:   http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Oilite_Bearings-21-a

Edit: we were taught not to grease oilite bushing as it could block the flow of oil to the shaft.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 19:56 by smud6ie »

Gardener1

Hi Smud6ie
Thanks for the link.  I knew about oilite bearings as they were made locally.  I will check out availability for a pulley if I find one without a bearing,though I could have a belts and braces oilite in the centre of a bearing!  They seem to have only replacement plastic ones, expecting alloy ones to last.  Trouble with alloy is they are easy to cast but melt in a fire:)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 19:54 by Gardener1 »

smud6ie

Personally I would not consider a proper form of bearing as "belt and braces",the idler could be spinning at around 3k Rpm in a harsh envirement so would not see plastic as up to the job.
smud6ie

Gardener1

Hi
I think you missed my point.  The plastic ones aren't up to the job and the alloy ones are like hens teeth. I was proposing to use an oilite bearing as a liner to a real bearing in a metal pulley when I find one as they are unlikely to be in the size required

smud6ie

AHH I see.
I don't know if you want to keep your machine original or just get it going but thinking outside the box,take a look at this idler I replaced when i changed the cam belt on a VW 1.9 TDI.  68mm Dia and eccentric centre bearing.
smud6ie
210420122139.jpg

Mr C.

I understand your comment about not greasing an oilite bearing as it could block the flow of oil to the shaft, but:

1. It's from 1977 and more likely to be just a copper sleeve (bush) without any impregnation of oil in it.

2. If it was impregnated with oil when fitted, then it will be long gone by now - 35 years ago.

3. There is no other flow of oil or other means of lubrication except by hand as a service job.

4. For all I know, lubing it was listed as a service requirement at a given number of hours running.

It will be interesting to see how you get on with replacement parts - keep us posted.
Out of interest - did you consider replacing the engine with another B&S unit?

Mike

Gardener1

Hi
I will have to look around if I can't find a pulley for a cultivator or lawnmower.  I don't think an eccentric one would do!  Oilite bearing have been around for decades, If I fit one it will be new but you could always lub yours with a squirt  of engine oil.  I don't think grease would be a problem.

smud6ie

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough about the  pulley,The bearing is running  central to the circumference of the pulley,it is the centre shaft that is eccentric relative to its fixing bolt so although the pulley spins true the outer surface distance can be varied from the fixing bolt which gives more adjustment whch has the effect of having a pulley of varying diameters..It is difficult to explain but I know what I mean  ;) :)
smud6ie

Out of interest MrC, your pulley may well have a copper bush but oilite bushes have been around since the 1930's and were good for use in areas where it was difficult to relube them. I have tractors from the 1950's that have such bushes and are subject to much more wear than,in your words:  "The idler pulley doesn't come up against much force - it merely pushes a belt up from being very loose to being a bit less loose. Greasing its' shaft must suffice"
So over 35 years oilite should last better than copper given all that extra grease ;) :)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 17:30 by smud6ie »

smud6ie

There are a couple of non reverse models for aution if near you,there are also some idlers but are from thailand.
smud6ie

Gardener1

there are also some idlers but are from thailand.
Do yoiu have item numbers as all I saw didn't have a flange
smud6ie

Gardener1

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough about the  pulley,The bearing is running  central to the circumference of the pulley,it is the centre shaft that is eccentric relative to its fixing bolt so although the pulley spins true the outer surface distance can be varied from the fixing bolt which gives more adjustment whch has the effect of having a pulley of varying diameters..It is difficult to explain but I know what I mean  ;) :)
smud6ie

Sorry missed this part of your message.  Thats a possibility too

smud6ie

there are also some idlers but are from thailand.
Do yoiu have item numbers as all I saw didn't have a flange
smud6ie

The ones I saw didn't have a flange .I don't know how necessary a flange is as i have repaired several different makes that don't have them,Merry tiller titan is one.
smud6ie
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 17:32 by smud6ie »

xx
my qualcast cultimatic?

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

53 Replies
Last post September 26, 2007, 22:13
by new_2_veg
xx
qualcast cultimatic b66 rotovator

Started by hammers07 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2008, 18:25
by shaun
xx
Qualcast Cultimatic Instructions

Started by Chappers on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 20:02
by Gardener1
xx
qualcast cultimatic super

Started by mike w on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 18:18
by mike w

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 39 queries.