Aquadulce broad bean

• 4 Replies

viettaclark

Aquadulce broad bean
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:25 »
I sowed these in situ last November. They went through the Winter no bother and started growing again in Spring. Had early flowers and now the beans are nearly ready on the lower stems. They got very tall (3/4 feet) so I pinched out the tops.
Will they flower on the top half of the plant? Can't see any buds yet....If they don't I will feel a bit disappointed as there aren't as many beans as I expected per plant..... :(
They've been using up a fair area of bed for a long time and there are more productive plants!!!!

paintedlady

Re: Aquadulce broad bean
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:35 »
Because we had such a cold spring, I don't think the bees were out that much when the flowers appeared which might explain a poor bean performance.  I doubt you'll get any more flowers as all the energy will go into the seed production now but just hold out a bit longer - last year I nearly uprooted a load of overwintering broad beans because like you I thought they were rubbish but with so much to do, I forgot and glad I never got round to it when I came to pick a great little harvest.

They may have been using space up but remember that the nitrogen fixing bacteria on the roots of all legumes will improve the soil fertility.  You should start harvesting the beans in a few weeks time anyway, so not long to go now and then you can dig in the roots and use the bed to plant other stuff out  ;) 
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 21:28 »
I've got cabbages etc waiting in the wings.
I think I should've planted more?...I did an 11' zig-zag row and I reckon, looking at the pods, that there's only enough for a couple of meals!!! I thought there would be more flowers so picked some for baby beans in a salad!!!
Doh! ::)

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 05:56 »
I've got cabbages etc waiting in the wings.
I think I should've planted more?...

Perhaps pot on the cabbages to plant out later, or if you are already harvesting for baby beans (just realised you are in Southampton so well ahead of me) then perhaps you'll have them all picked and can plant out the cabbages sooner than you think.

Re:  plant more?  Of course!  :D 

mixdiver

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:42 »
From what you say I think you are doing everything correctly. I know they take up valueble space but when you eat them you will realise what all the fuss is about!
I sowed a packet of T&M last november (30 seeds if I remember correctly) Have just had my first pickings yesterday - gave us 4 large portions. There will probably be the same again in a couple of weeks. I know is does not sound a great deal but you will still be able to get other things in the ground when they are done , plus the roots do add nitrogen as has been pointed out. If you still need a good reason to carry on with them look at the prices in the shops!

Regards

Mixdiver
Digging away to keep the weight down!

xx
Aquadulce broad bean

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 15:30
by NN2Blue
xx
broad bean Aquadulce

Started by suzieflower on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 19:57
by Loubs
xx
Broad Bean Aquadulce

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 18, 2015, 17:27
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Broad Bean Aquadulce

Started by Donut on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 22:38
by Bombers

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 38 queries.