Plastic Balcony 4 Tier Greenhouse Condensation

• 4 Replies
Plastic Balcony 4 Tier Greenhouse Condensation
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:42 »
Good Afternoon From Wet and Windy Normandy France,

Just treated meself to a couple of them there Balcony 4 Tier Plastic Greenhouses, which took all of a blink of an eye to erect and was feeling right chuffed with meself until about 1 hour after erection noticed they where full of condensation... >:(

I had put the cutback and repotted geraniums in them a, to stop said plastic greenhouses blowing away in the force 10 gales and b, to justify the minimum expense involved in said plastic greenhouse purchase....

Now then, the weighty question is.... what do I do about all that condensation...(because I am right worried about rotting the plants orf...???)

...do I put the fleece cover supplied under or over the plastic...(I tried the fleece over the plastic for a couple of days, basically because I was too dashed idle to take all the plastic orf) and the condensation was just as bad...

Sooooooooooooooooo......Common sense and brains required...Over to YOU...!!!
Thanking you in anticipation

Carrots & Co...!!!.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 12:52 by arugula »

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Plastic Balcony 4 Tier Greenhouse Condensation
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 13:06 »
I would leave the door open during the day, and on mild nights.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 13:07 »
Hello and welcome. I would leave the door rolled up, especially during the day.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 13:55 »
Thankyou so much for the welcome 'Fairy Plotmother',

I have done that today..(rolled up the zippy bit...)

....and yes the condensation is disappearing...

....bbbbuuuuttttt...not wanting to appear tooo thick or anything but...

.... does that not sort of defeat the object a wee bit, 'cause surely the plants will then be the same temp. as those on/in the ground outside....I was thinking (always a dangerous habit on my part...!!! :unsure:) that the idea of these things is to raise the temp. a wee bit to aid the plants etc...

Oh, I don't know, I give in...!!!

Anyway....

The whole idea of these plastic greenhouse purchases was for me to eventually find a plug plant internet seller (one who was not under the impression that Normandy France is somewhere far north of Outer Mongolia...!!!) and for me to grow the cheap plug plants (Aubretia etc) on over the winter...therefore saving a shed load of monies...

...but like I said all of the UK internet suppliers so far contacted will not supply me through the post.. :mad:....for crying out loud if I stood on top of the plastic greenhouses I could practically see England from 'ere....!!!

Soooooooooooo....

That still leaves me with my original question...

Crumbs, I am all so fugged up, I have now forgotten what my original question was...

ahhh yes I remember...to fleece or not to fleece...???...under or over the plastic...???

Right thats me gone.... for a coffee and a smoke...plus another look at some soon to be redundant brand new plastic greenhouses...!!!

Carrots & Co.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 14:22 »
The weather is still quite warm, well here anyway, and most plants just need the frost kept off them. They still need an airflow or you will get too much condensation and then your plants will rot. Overwintering plants can be tricky 'cos they don't need  to be wet and warm. Cool and dryish I reckon especially when the cold, cold weather arrives. You don't want them growing, just ticking over. As for my little plants, I'll check them each day to see what their needs are. But not too much water. NO NO NO! I'm an expert at losing geraniums to wet and warm in the winter, so this year i'm pulling them up and dumping them in a box of compost under the shelf of the greenhouse. We'll both see what happens!! :D Good luck

xx
How to stop 4 tier plastic greenhouse blowing away

Started by carlotta on Equipment Shed

19 Replies
Last post March 23, 2013, 22:59
by BritBrat
xx
plastic greenhouse

Started by Chas62 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 21:18
by Chas62
xx
How much use is a plastic greenhouse?

Started by JulesJ on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 12:53
by JulesJ
xx
Plastic for Greenhouse Glazing

Started by Dave f on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 08:30
by Plottered

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 38 queries.