Gutted!

• 3 Replies

danmegal

Gutted!
« on: March 16, 2011, 20:05 »
Have had a broody hen since the beginning of january and have been unable to 'break' her, so as the plan this year was to add a few duckies to the mix we slipped a few duck eggs under her (given to me off customer at work). Candled them tonight and they are dud, I am gutted that we won't be having ducklings just yet and more upset for my girlie who is just desperate to be a mummy!

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Gutted!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 20:32 »
That's so sad when they have been sitting so determindly.

I would be more than willing to send you some duck eggs. I have always had good fertility although there is no doubt that the post adversely affects fertility.

I have also put day olds (well 4 day olds in my case) under a duck who was just adamant she wasn't moving without babies and they all took to each other with no problems.  She had sat for about a fortnight while I tried and failed to break her so I bought some eggs as I wanted some Welsh Harlequins but they were all duds and by that point she had sat for so long I thought she deserved babies and despite the reputation of most ducks was a great mum.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

danmegal

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 20:41 »
Thankyou thats very kind, but i think this girl after 10 weeks of being broody needs to get back to her friends, have a good dust bath and a decent amount of food to eat, just hope she realises enough is enough.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 20:48 »
I agree after 10 weeks she needs throwing out and made to get on with it! Sun on her back and grubbing after worms may make her see the light.

The offer is there if you want to take it up later in the season.

xx
Gutted :(

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 08:48
by Jeanette
xx
Gutted

Started by Vember on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 19:39
by chooknewbie
xx
Gutted

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 22:49
by Tazzy
xx
Can anyone help me?! Who knows where to get cocks killed, gutted & plucked?!

Started by Amy262 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 21:55
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 36 queries.