hen house

• 6 Replies

owein

• Experienced Member
hen house
« on: January 22, 2010, 20:35 »
Hi has anyone any comments on this:

http://www.feelgooduk.net/58-egg-house-12-extra-large-chicken-coop-hen-home.html

Or advice on something similar?

I know I could make something, and normaly do! but I need to rehouse about 20 laying chickens from my barn and thought two of these side by side could do the job, I have no extra time for capentry etc. at the moment.

Any opinions good or bad would be welcome.

Thanks a lot

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: hen house
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 22:41 »
hi owein, weve got the 4 bird version of theis house. We made a few alterations: - raised the perches (fairly difficult as they were glued as well as screwed into the side) raised the house on legs - as if it goes flat on ground there is a gap beneath which would suit a rat very well! added a ladder and gave it a good coat of cuprinol.  where the door hinges at the back it might be a bit draughty so we positioned it where it is protected.  we are pleased with it and of course it is a nice looking house too! good luck :D

grinling

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 22:46 »
Would you raise this up as rats could gnaw their way in?
Is there adequate ventilation when closed?

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 13:23 »
I'd raise it and put weld mesh at the bottom to be sure ratties don't get to it.  If it isn't raised off the ground it will get damp/wet and rot eventually.

looby

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 21:34 »
Thanks for the replies,
Yes, I would be raising it anyway.
lucylou, why did you raise the perches? I was a bit concerned that they were lower than the nest boxes. And how easy is it to clean? I like the idea of the pull out floor but is it easy to pull out etc.?
Thanks again

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 21:52 »
hi! we raised the perches as chucks tend to like to roost higher than their nest boxes and you a right in thinking that the perches in this coop are the same level as the nest boxes. The poo tray is very easy to clean, will slide front or backways but access into the coop is easy anyway and i often just reach in and poo pick without sliding the tray out. my OH put 12 inch legs on our coop so that also makes it easier to access. oh ive just remebered.. our coop came with 2 perches and when we raised them we could only put one perch back up as we felt that by putting both back up it would impede on the hens getting into their nesting boxes. we have 4 large bantams and 1 small large fowl sleeping together on the one perch and plenty of room :D lucylou

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 22:16 »
for 20 laying hens, it would probably be easier (and cheaper) to buy a standard garden shed, and put a pop-hole in, and some perches. It would also be easier to clean etc as you can just walk in. If at a later date, you build your coops to your own spec, you could either use the shed for feed storage, or sell it.  :D
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

xx
New Hen House Help!!

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 09:30
by babaloo151070
xx
What do you think of this Hen House?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 14:57
by nicky d
xx
What house should I get

Started by Bren200 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 19:13
by Bren200
xx
DIY Hen House

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 15:18
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 36 queries.