Sprout Leaves

• 5 Replies

tuffty

Sprout Leaves
« on: January 02, 2009, 18:25 »
Hi Can anyone tell me is it ok to feed my 11 weeks old chickens sprout leaves in the run. I have hung a stem of sprouts up for them before but never the loose leaves. Any advice appreciated as l am a complete novice. Have only had my birds for 3 weeks.

poultrygeist

Sprout Leaves
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 19:10 »
I don't know if it makes a difference with them being 11 weeks old but make sure they have plenty of grit available and presumably that they are still eating plenty of pellets/mash.

Rob 8)

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Sprout Leaves
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 21:54 »
They should be fine.  They will naturally take grit in from pecking in the soil so it isn't really anything to worry about.

Just be on a the look of out for a lot of runny poos.  The odd one doesn't hurt as it is normally their digestive system getting used to the food.

Also (it may seem obvious and silly) just make sure they have access to clean water and a good mash or pelleted food.

i have had cases where the chicken was scared of the feeder and would only eat the other girls food that had been flung onto the floor.  In this case, try a dish or put it on the floor.

tuffty

Sprout Leaves
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 22:08 »
Thanks for your advice everyone.  :)   I will give them just a few leaves to start with and see how they get on with with them. They have fresh water every day and have has much growers pellets as they want. Have even got them a CD hanging in the run which they seem to enjoy. I also have got them 2 nice branches for perches in the run. So hopefully they will not get too bored and start on each other.  

l have the offer of a cockerel to keep them in order and look after them. Any thoughts on this idea anyone. Fors and against??

Bodger

Sprout Leaves
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 22:09 »
As Matt says, they are fine. :D

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Sprout Leaves
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 22:18 »
Hi,

If you only have 2 hens I would strongly advise against getting a cock as it will not be fair on them in the long run.

If you was a hen and you had a randy cock on top of you every 1/2 hour - would you be happy?

I would personally suggest you should have at least 4 or 5 hens but that is just my opinion.

xx
Oak leaves

Started by trinamc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 26, 2010, 22:43
by Lindeggs
xx
leaves in run

Started by bigaky on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2011, 22:03
by swedishchicken
xx
Leaves

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 22:05
by chickenlady
xx
Rhubarb leaves

Started by Spana on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 07:26
by joyfull

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 38 queries.