Opening Preserved/Pickled Jars. No, Seriously! :D

• 13 Replies

garrarufa

• Munin's Sketch-blog
Opening Preserved/Pickled Jars. No, Seriously! :D
« on: January 10, 2020, 00:19 »
I started to write a simple question (see below), which turned into me not really wanting an answer to that question. Sometimes it can be fun to just be in limbo and see what happens. That being said, by all means give a solution, or prognosis, or just a similar story from past experience. :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My first years yield of stuff I wanted to try my hand at pickling: Beetroot, four jars. A mix of late year spring onions and salad radishes, another four jars. Eight jars, with the other four not being used. Boxed sets, etc...

So, my question is, why do I find it impossible to open these jars some months down the line?

I researched as best I could and read everything about preserving and pickling. To the point where I decided I'm doing gerkins this year, and also buying a dehydrator for use on some of my chilies. But still... I can't get these blooming tops off!

I'm no Mr. Strong, but I still have a very decent grasp in my hands. I'm sure I could choke out several people before the police showed up. Erm... bad frame of reference. But hopefully you get my point.

These jars... these "Bell" jars (?) I purchased on good merit after much consideration. Wow, they really do preserve... because I can't blooming open them! Real hard squeeze and turn, try a tea towel over the top for more purchase... bite, claw, plead... I cannot open them. The tops don't present the push down "pop" thing, so I would assume the contents are fine. Boy, I would really like to get in there, haha.

It's frustrating, but also amusing at the same time. Which makes it slightly more frustrating, and then also much more amusing. It's a loop that has me laughing more than being vexed. I'm at the point where I don't care if I never get to open those jars. The journey of the attempt is enough to keep me giggling.

So, that's it. I did come with questions, but when I started typing, I realized I possibly didn't come here for answers, but maybe similar stories? I don't know.

regards
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:33 by mumofstig »

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
Re: Opening Preserved/Pickled Jars. No, Seriously! ;D
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 07:36 »
Its a question of physics, when you put the contents in the jars they are hot and as the cool the air shrinks pulling the the cap tighter. What you need to do is break the seal, simplest way is using a bottle opener, the type you get with a corkscrew attachment , use it as though you were opening a bottle of beer to gentle let air in. Should then open easily.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 07:58 »
Ha, I feel your pain! I'm a big dude so if I can't get the top off a jar, it's stuck. In the end I usually resort to stabbing through the lid with the tip of a big kitchen knife to release the pressure, then add a new lid or decant contents into something else.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 09:26 »
You can get an opener from places like Lakeland or direct through Amazon quite cheaply and they work really well. Alternatively try puting them under the hot water tap as this should loosen them a bit - providing you turn the water on!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 09:39 »
I push a knife down the side of the lid, 'til  they pop to release the vacuum.
If they're the preserve jars with screw top outer ring - I remove that and then slide a knife just under the edge of the flat middle lid, which also releases the vacuum. Simples!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 09:45 »
When putting the lid on during the preserving process, don't tighten it fully, as the jar and contents cool, the lid will contract and form a nice seal with out beign too tight to undo.
And as suggested above, run the lid under a hot tap, it'll cause the lid to expand slightly and should let you unscrew it a little more easily.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 16:04 by Plot 1 Problems »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 11:03 »
I am like DHM, I carefully wrap around the jar, and then put a squewer on top of the lid, and careful hit that with a steak hammer.  :ohmy:  It only has to just pierce the top and job done.     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 11:39 »
Try putting a rubber glove on your dominant hand then gripping the jar, turn the jar & not the lid. Hope the contents are fine & that the vinegar hadn’t corroded the lid on if they were not designed for pickles!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 14:31 »
I'm rubbish at opening jars so I bought an arthritis jar opening aid. I love it, I got my mother In Law two for Christmas, one for the house and one for her office. I offered the Father In Law one but he declined.
The style I got is sold as "UNIVERSAL BOTTLE OPENER JAR LID EASY GRIP DISABILITY AID KITCHEN TOOL TOP NEW ".

jezza

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 14:36 »
Hello steak hammers interesting my mother's got some stuck lids my 14lb hammer should open them easily  jezza

jezza

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 14:38 »
Hi I read steak hammer wrong mines a stake hammer

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 15:57 »
Just tap around the edge of the lid with the handle of a kitchen knife,

(go carefully you won't see the blood in the beetroot).

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Ema

Re: Opening Preserved/Pickled Jars. No, Seriously! :D
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 10:34 »
It’s frustrating to ruin a good lid, with supermarket jars and lids I just take an old fashioned hook can opener to them with nice lids that I want to keep I use boiling water and gently poor until I hear a pop.

8doubles

Re: Opening Preserved/Pickled Jars. No, Seriously! :D
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 10:59 »
Running the lid under the hot tap often works.

If the contents were filled cold (as you would pickled onions) there will not be a vacuum so little point in piercing the lid !
The rubber strap type openers are good and do not damage the lids like the big metal circle jaw ones do.

xx
Primark opening hours

Started by GraciesGran on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post November 30, 2020, 09:51
by New shoot
xx
Yahoo emails - opening a file ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2021, 16:29
by mumofstig
xx
The shop in the shed/freezer/stashed in jars...

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post November 29, 2017, 22:00
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 53 queries.