soft shell layer now sick chicken

• 11 Replies

chickadee11

soft shell layer now sick chicken
« on: May 07, 2011, 11:38 »

I have an ex-bat chicken who has been laying soft-shelled eggs.  Have added calcium to water, didn't work.  Yesterday started adding cod liver oil to the food - read it helps them to digest calcium.  They are on ex-bat crumb and have been adding grit to food because although they've always had access to grit they don't seem to eat it!  They usually get corn and kitchen scraps but I've stopped giving them anything like that for the past week to encourage them to eat the crumb.

Today the chicken didn't leave her nesting box so at 10:30 I thought perhaps she's a bit broody and I should help her out by lifting her out of the box for a drink and some food.  She had some watery stuff coming out of her bottom and she's in a real mess down there, looks a bit incontinent.  She took a drink but pretty quickly the "head chicken" came over and started attacking her (very unusual, she normally picks on one of my others!).

I put the poorly chicken back in the nesting box because they seem to be ignoring her while she's in there.  Can anyone give me advice?

I think I have another chicken who is also laying soft-shelled eggs so hoping this is not contageous...out of 5 chickens the only one I get an egg from every day is the one that's not an ex-bat that we found.
Chick

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: soft shell layer now sick chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:45 »
It sounds like an egg has burst inside her - sit her in a sink filled with warm water (for about 30 mins) - this should help her get the rest out - if you see any membrane from the egg pull it out - (the other hen would have been trying to eat the egg - pretty normal but this can draw blood and then lead to her being pecked to death  :(). Consult your vet regarding antibiotics to stop her getting an internal infection (sooner rather than later) and also make sure you give her a blow dry with a hair dryer on a warm setting. Do not put her back out damp (or even in her basket as the dampness will not be good for her).
Fingers crossed for her xx
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:03 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

chickadee11

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 12:09 »
Thanks Joyful, I'll try that.  She just came out of the nesting box and had a drink but then went back.  I'll give her a "bath" as a start. 

Beakybird

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 14:13 »
My ex-batts have the same problem, probably because they are worn out by the time anyone gets them :(

Whenever they've been poorly it's been because there's a thin shelled egg stuck inside them (collapsed egg). I've been very successful at treating them when this happens and have had veterinary advice.

I find that the best way of removing the collapsed egg is to insert a middle finger gently into the vent. The hen will most likely poop due to the sensation of something in its vent. Just withdraw the finger, remove poop and insert finger again (mine can poop up to three times). It should feel totally soft in there. If there's a rough-ish or tough-ish bit it's most likely to be the remains of the egg shell/membrane. I then gently draw the eggshell out with my finger. If there's a bit of eggshell sticking out of the vent and you pull it there is more chance of a prolapse as she'll be pushing as you pull, so I would suggest inserting your finger and helping to drag it out (although a bit of prolapse isn't as bad as leaving the egg inside her, as you can push the prolapse back into the vent with your fingers).

I go into the vent by following the shape of the hen (ie downwards but following the curve of her body) and go in up to the second joint of my middle finger.

I give my hens Metacam drops (three drops, available from the vet) as this helps with pain relief.

I had this very problem yesterday with one of my girls. I removed the eggshell and couple of hours after having the Metacam she passed some clear albumen, so it looks like this may have failed to come down due to cramps (which eased after the pain relief kicked in).

I would suggest bringing the hen in if at all possible as it will aid in her recovery (she can relax more in a quiet place where she doesn't have to remain 'on guard' for preditors, etc and she'll be feeling exhausted after all that cramping). I have set up "Mummy's Hospital" in my home which consists of a dog crate in a quiet room.  :)

My girl is back up and running this morning, so is back with her friends :)

Good luck with your girl. I hope you are able to help her.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 14:19 by Beakybird »

chickadee11

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 22:35 »
Thanks for sending me the detailed message beakybird, unfortunately my lovely hen passed away this afternoon.  She was fine yesterday..I can't believe she got so poorly so quickly.  I was with her most of the afternoon, tried the warm bath but it didn't work.  I think you're right though because after she died I had a look at the vent and as some stuff was coming out there was a bit of soft shell in there.  I'm so sad I didn't find it earlier. 

My only consolation is that she had a lovely year with us.  :-(

Pettrish

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 08:51 »
Awww chickadee11 how sad for you :( You can take some comfort in the fact that you did everything you possibly could for your poor girl :)
I've got exactly the same thing going on with one of my girls at the moment and we are off to the vet in the morning for some metacam too. I'm not sure if Nancy will still be around to come with me tho :(   I still can't get my head round how quickly they go from being so healthy to being so ill.......... and i'm not a novice keeper either, but it still catches me out!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 09:25 »
until you can get the metacam or it's equivelent - my vet prescribes loxicom - sit her in a warm bath as this helps to relax their muscles helping them to pass the egg  :).

sorry you lost your bird chickadee  :(

Beakybird

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 11:03 »
 :( :(I'm so sorry you lost your little girl, Chickadee :( I know it's no help to your little hen now, but at least you will now be prepared for it if this problem occurs in any of your other hens.

As hens deteriorate so quickly it's imperative to get the egg out asap, so if you suspect this problem I'd suggest feeling inside the vent. Even if you can't feel anything right away it's always worth another try after a couple of hours incase the collapsed egg has moved down somewhat.

Signs to look out for are any remains of egg in the coop or on the hens feet, lethargy, withdrawal, a constantly 'contracting' vent.

We're always learning Chickadee and that's part of being a good chicken mummy (which you undoubtedly are) xx

chickadee11

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 17:15 »
Thanks for all the reassuring , kind words and for passing on your knowledge so freely. I feel really sad today about Spikey...she was a very friendly chicken.  I think she had a lovely year with me, they have a large pen under trees with loads of space and lots of trees, I often dig worms for them.  At least in future if one gets sick I'll know what to look out for and I'll know what to do. 

It's funny how attached you get to the chickens isn't it.  I go down there every day and chat with them, and cuddle them.  They don't seem to mind at all and rush to the gate whenever they see or hear me, obviously they only want food from me but it makes me happy :-)

Anyway, thanks again everyone. xx

Beakybird

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 23:03 »
Spikey was a lucky girl to have been able to spend a year with you. I absolutely adore my girls, so I quite understand how sad you must be feeling :(

I don't believe for one minute that all they want from you is food - they clearly accept you as one of their flock (top bird in fact :)).

If I can help just one person to help just one hen, then I'll be more than happy :)

Please PM me if you ever feel I may be able to help in any way. I'm not an expert, but seem to have learned a lot since getting my girls and I have regular contact with a fantastic avian vet (so am constantly gaining knowledge!).

Rest in peace little Spikey xx

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 23:58 »
Sorry to hear about Spikey Beakybird but unfortunately it's not an uncommon problem with exbatts.  Probably it had progressed a little further than just one egg being stuck and peritonitis had taken hold due to an internal infection.  Soft shelled eggs can cause egg binding as the muscular contractions which normally move the egg down the oviduct aren't as efficient in moving a soft shelled egg.

Best of luck with the others.
HF
Truth through science.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 11:44 »
So sorry to hear about Spikey, chickadee. I lost my Rosie a couple of weeks ago, she'd known freedom for a year as Spikey had, and she got EYP as I didn't realise which of my girls had laid a couple of soft shells and there was obviously some backlog going on that I didn't know about.

By the time it was a problem it was too late for her, but by the time it's noticeable everything seems to happen very quickly. At least you know it was an individual problem & not a communicable disease so your other girls should be fine.

xx
Chicken laying soft shell eggs

Started by ChickenBox on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 26, 2011, 17:19
by funkychook
xx
Soft Shell

Started by chookaburra on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 17:04
by chookaburra
xx
Soft shell ?

Started by loam ranger on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 16:59
by loam ranger
xx
Soft Shell

Started by Henlady on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 20:54
by joyfull

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 36 queries.