Honey Roast Parsnip Soup

• 3 Replies

sando8901

Honey Roast Parsnip Soup
« on: November 19, 2008, 10:22 »
A few weeks back Parsnips were half price (54p for 500g) at my local supermarket.
Picked up a couple of bags to roast but realised there was too much to use at once and they probably wouldn't keep so I came up with the following.

Roast up 500g of parsnips and a couple of carrots with a knob of butter and a tablespoon or two of honey until golden brown. Takes about 20-25 minutes but all ovens are different.

Throw in half a large diced onion and add in fresh herbs, I used Rosemary and Thyme and put back in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, you don't want the onion to burn, just to soften up. Season as well.

In the meantime fry or grill a rasher of bacon, get it nice and crispy. Chop up into small pieces and add to the roasting tray, mix in and put back in oven for 5 or 10 minutes. I guess you could use left over pork/gammon.

Take out of the oven and pop into a large pan and add in a pint of vegetable stock, simmer for a while and then let cool.

Whizz up in a blender re-heat and serve. The parsnip seems to soak up a lot of the stock so add more if needed. I don't bother straining it to get it smooth as you waste food that way.

I got 4 bowls out of the above and total cost was around 1.50 pound (don't have a pound sign sorry) for the whole lot and it fills you up a treat.

If you want croutons... I fried up some left over dry bread in a touch of oil and garlic until crispy.

I used up both bags of parsnips for soup so in the end 3 pounds (Money) got us 8 bowls, so that was lunch sorted for most of the week. If you leave the soup til the next day it gets sweeter so I would suggest that if you don't have a sweet tooth, eat it all on day one or use less honey to roast with.

Real taste of winter and a bargain to boot. If you want to keep it vegetarian don't add the bacon, perhaps use some toasted walnuts?? or leave it parsnip only.

I'm hungry now....  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

Honey Roast Parsnip Soup
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 11:48 »
Sounds fab.

I roast my parsnips with maple syrupand that is yummy too. Never any left to think about soup so will have to do extra!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Poolfield2

Honey Roast Parsnip Soup
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 16:50 »
I'll be giving that a go :!:  :!:

amandaandherveg

• Experienced Member
Honey Roast Parsnip Soup
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 20:42 »
I went out to pick some parsnips this weekend.  The crowns were huge and I was excited to pluck them out of the ground.

Oh the disappoinment - they looked like some sort of mutant parsnip/octopus creature.  The ground was well riddled before planting, but I did plant on from trays from the greenhouse and they obviously didnt approve of the treatment.  :cry:
Are we nearly there yet?

xx
Parsnip soup?

Started by Annie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post November 13, 2006, 13:55
by tully
xx
Curried Parsnip Soup

Started by GrannieAnnie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 01:01
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Parsnip soup too sweet

Started by Maryann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post December 01, 2011, 16:56
by Aidy
xx
curried Parsnip Soup

Started by Bombers on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post November 08, 2008, 17:44
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.