Propagating Comfrey

• 11 Replies

christokes87

Propagating Comfrey
« on: April 14, 2012, 13:40 »
Hello,

I've just received a bunch of Comfrey 'Bocking 14' root cuttings. I want to grow them in containers but I'm not sure on the best way to propagate them. Thompson & Morgan's instructions aren't very detailed.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Propagating Comfrey
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 13:55 »
John the site owner has just potted his comfrey up after cutting a root into pieces.
Have a look here on his diary page
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden-diary/1726/propagating-comfrey/

safetrade

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 14:05 »
I planted mine in 3inch pots over 3 weeks ago and put them in the pollytunel but  nothing seems to be happening :(

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 17:22 »
Where's the best place on a plot to grow comfrey? I was given a couple of plants today and wasn't sure whether to grow it in pots to stop it getting out of control, or put it in the ground next to my composters. I didn't realise it was so deep rooting.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 17:26 »
In a corner by the shed and compost bin, well that's where mine is going  ;)

LilacSandy

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 17:28 »
You will need to plant comfrey in the ground as the roots go so deep and bring up nutrients from the sub soil.  If you plant in a pot you will not get the full benifits from the leaves.  Put it somewhere where it will not spread over your plot.  MOS has the best idea planting near the compost bin.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 17:38 »

christokes87

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 20:50 »
You will need to plant comfrey in the ground as the roots go so deep and bring up nutrients from the sub soil.  If you plant in a pot you will not get the full benifits from the leaves.  Put it somewhere where it will not spread over your plot.  MOS has the best idea planting near the compost bin.

Sadly I don't own a plot yet. I've only got one 6x8 foot patch in my garden, so containers are the only option. The root cutting resemble cigars and wont fit in 3 inch pots.

I'm planning on just putting them straight into decent sized pots with good compost and well rotted manure. I suppose my main question is how deep shall I plant them and do they require a certain temperature?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 20:54 »
In the pics in the link I gave above, John has his in pots outside his greenhouse - so they don't need anything special

fatbelly

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 21:03 »
Last year I had 2 Bocking 14 plants on my plot in the most awkward spot so this winter I moved them.

1st all last year I took leaves off the plants with no regard to their needs and the Comfrey just took it all in its stride and continued to grow. Then last November I moved the 2 plants to their new home splitting them into 6 plants.

No particular care was taken with their re-planting I just dug a hole and heeled them in. All 6 plants are now up and running and are fine although the growth is a little behind on last season.

To ensure the Comfey didn't return in its original spot I had a bonfire right over where the 2 plants were. Guess what they have re sprouted and are growing again  ::)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 21:04 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 21:33 »

Sadly I don't own a plot yet. I've only got one 6x8 foot patch in my garden, so containers are the only option. The root cutting resemble cigars and wont fit in 3 inch pots.

I'm planning on just putting them straight into decent sized pots with good compost and well rotted manure. I suppose my main question is how deep shall I plant them and do they require a certain temperature?

If the cuttings are that big cut them into smaller 3/4 inch cuttings and start each one in a 3 inch pot planted an inch deep then pot on when they have a couple of 1-2 inch leaves, I'd be willing to lay a bet they all take (eventually), but they can take some time where as some will show really fast. No special temperature requirements I'd place them outside tbh less chance of them drying out.
Faff free zone!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 21:58 »

If the cuttings are that big cut them into smaller 3/4 inch cuttings and start each one in a 3 inch pot planted an inch deep then pot on when they have a couple of 1-2 inch leaves, I'd be willing to lay a bet they all take (eventually), but they can take some time where as some will show really fast. No special temperature requirements I'd place them outside tbh less chance of them drying out.

More or less how I do mine, I just cut them into 1" sections lay them on their sides so I don't have to remember which way is up or down, they normally all root
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

clip
Propagating.

Started by Gill and Bry on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 13, 2020, 10:09
by Gill and Bry
xx
Self propagating tomatoes

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 20:49
by solway cropper
xx
Propagating Strawberries from Runners

Started by maverick on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 12:15
by sarah1983jane
xx
propagating blackberry canes.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 21:06
by Lardman

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 37 queries.