Best roasties ever

• 10 Replies

Grubbypaws

Best roasties ever
« on: January 11, 2020, 09:49 »
Which potato variety produces the best roasties? I grow Setanta and am amazed at how good they are. The compliments always flow at Christmas dinner. New shoot thinks that Blue Danube is the best; I havent grown these yet. Any other contenders or opinions?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Best roasties ever
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 09:54 »
I still like my Desiree, and not just for the once a year special dinner - though where they're actually going to grow this year is still up for debate  :lol:

I suppose the big divide taste-wise will depend on whether you prefer floury or waxy spuds ;)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 10:01 »
I still like my Desiree, and not just for the once a year special dinner - though where they're actually going to grow this year is still up for debate  :lol:

I suppose the big divide taste-wise will depend on whether you prefer floury or waxy spuds ;)
They are not just for a once a year special dinner; I have to hide some away for this otherwise there might not be any left as my husband loves cooking them so much (he does a wicked roastie)! This year however we had a bumper crop and are still enjoying them  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:08 »
I like both waxy and floury potatoes roasted, but floury win out for me.  I haven't ever grown Setanta either, so maybe I am missing a trick  :unsure:

We only have roast potatoes once a week at most, but I do make sure I cook them with care.  A good roastie makes the plate for me  :D

jambop

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 16:08 »

Going to be hard to believe but I am roasting some very large Charlotte potatoes ... and they have been brilliant! I par boil then add a bit of sunflower oil bash them about a bit then into a really hot oven for about 45mins nicely browned crisp and tasty!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 16:34 »

Going to be hard to believe but I am roasting some very large Charlotte potatoes ... and they have been brilliant! I par boil then add a bit of sunflower oil bash them about a bit then into a really hot oven for about 45mins nicely browned crisp and tasty!
My husband swears by goose fat after par boiling. It has a lovely rich flavour  :)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 06:56 »

They're a great spud for roasting aren't they, Jambop! Mrs Growster disagrees, so we compromise, and she ppar-boils them, then insists on using my special sharp pasta fork to scratch them all over before roasting.

Just thinking of your address, is it still the case that the French like to roast very small potatoes? Apparently, they used to be a sort of roadside transport cafe experience, but sound really lovely!

jambop

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 09:08 »
Hi Growster
Yes they will roast potatoes about the size of a walnut in duck or goose fat and they are lovely. I sometimes use duck fat for my roast pots and has to be said they are super cooked that way. Very buttery and maybe just a little less crunchier than when roasted with oil. I was surprised that Charlotte worked as a roaster because I have not seen them suggested for that purpose... but from my garden they are super for roasting .

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 09:48 »
i must admit we haven't tried growing or eating Setanta although from what's been said I think its going to worth trying down the allotments as red varieties seem to do better than whites there

i haven't been to our local garden centre for over a week so i don't know if they have that variety i have always bought a variety called  record for baking and chipping but there not always available locally

so Setata is on my list to try  :D

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 10:16 »
Great idea Jambop, thank you!

I'll put goose fat on the list for Thursday (shopping day), and get 'some of them small spuds like what you mention...'!

(Actually it's haircut day, I'm shopping on Friday while Mrs Growster gets her ears lowered, but that's not really earth-shattering news actually...)!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 08:11 »
Always go my King Edwards for roasties, and sometimes for a change the Pink Firapples.

When I'm making chicken stock I put the skins in too, then use a gravy seperating jug to seperate the fat. This chicken fat on Roast potatoes is fab!

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 48 queries.