advice -- selling free range poultry

• 2 Replies

mshah123

advice -- selling free range poultry
« on: September 18, 2012, 04:16 »
Hi Guys

I recently started to keep chickens in the garden (quite a big garden for a terraced house) and realised how much I enjoy it. It went from 2 to 26 in a matter of months which I am sure many of you have gone through. I have also raised a few table birds and realised that there is immense difference in taste in the free range and what we buy from supermarkets!

I am currently in education at the moment finishing my degree and my brother is also successful so in terms of finance we are good. I have also noticed the lack of Halal free range poultry available in the UK and if so then only in select areas (eg london, cambridge) and this is something I would like to further explore.

My idea is to raise chickens in batches of a 100 from day old chicks and obviously for them to roam around freely. question initially are, how much land will I need to do this and where could i search to buy this land as this will i am assuming be the biggest starting cost.

I look forward to your replies and suggestions and hope that you can guide me in this initial brainstorming stage.  
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:35 by arugula »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: advice -- selling free range poultry
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 14:02 »
The information here will give you a start on what you need to know on the poultry welfare side:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Environmentandgreenerliving/Smallholders/DG_189309
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mshah123

Re: advice -- selling free range poultry
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 15:34 »
Thank you very much :)

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 34 queries.