here come the courgettes! Add your recipes.

• 117 Replies

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
here come the courgettes! Add your recipes.
« on: July 21, 2012, 23:05 »
had a look at my 9 courgette plants today and i have at least two courgettes on each plant ready for harvest now. As a single person I don't think I'm going to be able to eat the entire harvest. So I really hope my neighbours are courgette fans lol. Is it true that the average harvest for a courgette plant is 50? I hate chutney so I can't make that from it and I know they don't freeze well unless I grate them.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 17:50 by mumofstig »

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: here come the courgettes!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:56 »
Ratatouille?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 05:00 »
Every year I grow too many courgettes (I don't seem to learn) and end up with far more than I need to but luckily I have lots of people who are happy to take the surplus off me.  This year I decided to grow different varieties and after planting up one of each, the person who wanted to take my spare plants was unable to.  At the same time a big bed that I had planned on growing outdoor tomatoes was looking bare as the risk of blight was too high to consider planting them so I popped the rest of the courgettes in there to make it look cultivated ... a total of 14 plants.  I've been harvesting an average of 3 courgettes a day this past week and not all the plants are producing yet  :lol:

I use a lot of courgettes to bulk up meals - I dice/shred rather than slice and add them to meals such as hot pot, spaggy bol etc.  And they go very well with garlic or chilli or with a cheesy sauce topping (a bit like cauliflower cheese)  The other thing I've noticed is that when the courgette season begins in earnest I lose a lot of weight even though I'm eating loads more with keeping up with all the crops that are ready.  I call it the "courgette diet"  ;) 

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:28 »
One of our favourite veggie meals uses courgettes. It is simply sliced courgettes and potatoes layered with feta, garlic and mint, olive oil and a little cream cheese or greek yoghurt to help bind it together. Baked like a hotpot and served with tomato and olive salad. Yum.

I have found it is easiest to slice the courgettes into a bowl, add chopped mint and garlic, salt and pepper and lots of olive oil, and mix well, then layer with the taters and feta and a little cream cheese or yoghurt if you want to use it. The more courgettes you use the more "juice" you get, so less oil.

lizziesdad

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:53 »
Hi Lizziesmum here - not lizziesdad as the courgette plants are my babies. Have already picked eight decent sized courgettes from just three plants - I shared them with my neighbour as we wouldn't be able to eat them all. They are one of the few things on the allotment that are romping away! Never mind - the sun's shining and the next few days promise good weather so maybe everything else will stop moping and get a growth spurt! Oh yes - cut the courgettes length ways, brush with olive oil, grill them cut side down until skin browns, turn them over, top with chilli tomato chutney and any cheese you like ( grated cheddar, mozarella) and grill untill bubbling and brown. Just lovely!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 11:47 »
Those recipes sound lovely Lizzies Mum and Tosca. :)

Will try those as soon as we get any courgettes. Have a few tiny ones showing at last.
I can never get enough of them as I make oodles of chutney with them.

I like making courgette, feta and mint fritters which freeze reasonably well.

I also fry them and preserve them in vinegrette dressing as well as the usual recipes.

Oh yes and I make a courgette and cinnamon cake with cream cheese frosting too.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 11:59 »
It's only in the last few weeks mine have apparently decided to live - I can see a few flower buds appearing but they look like boys to me!

Because they were struggling I started a couple off in the greenhouse as well, so with any luck I'll be rat-tat-twoing and courgette-caking along with the rest of you soon!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 12:48 »
Oooooo yes, made some courgette muffins one day, got the recipe from the internet. Yummy! :tongue2:

JayG, the slugs have left me one weedy plant. :( But I have left it in to see if the weather can work miracles. :unsure:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:49 by tosca100 »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 19:27 »
JayG, the slugs have left me one weedy plant. :( But I have left it in to see if the weather can work miracles. :unsure:

Only two plants (out of 3) survived in the garden, and one of those had its stem half eaten through by a slug, but it's now 3/4 of the size of the other - I think I can call that a minor miracle, if only mathematically!  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 19:34 »
One of our favourite veggie meals uses courgettes. It is simply sliced courgettes and potatoes layered with feta, garlic and mint, olive oil and a little cream cheese or greek yoghurt to help bind it together. Baked like a hotpot and served with tomato and olive salad. Yum.

I have found it is easiest to slice the courgettes into a bowl, add chopped mint and garlic, salt and pepper and lots of olive oil, and mix well, then layer with the taters and feta and a little cream cheese or yoghurt if you want to use it. The more courgettes you use the more "juice" you get, so less oil.

I shall add this to our repertoire, soon I hope  :D

Had our first courgette of the year yesterday -- bring on the  glut

Please
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 20:26 »
Some nice ideas there, thanks. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 20:49 »
thanks for that. some great recipes there!

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 21:47 »
flowers coming las tue hoping to see some babies on Wed. Roll on a glut of anything apart from slugs.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

jokey333

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 21:51 »
courgette soup - yum, courgette bake with cougette (obviously) tomatoes, mini corn, garlic and motzarella cheese (spelt wrong)  - courgette grated with carrot and/or koh rabi with a teaspoon of white wine vinigar and mayonaise makes a lovely coleslaw.

once my cougettes make a faster appearance i may discover more recipes

jo

xx
Any recipes for stuffing large courgettes/marrows or squashes?

Started by devonbarmygardener on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2013, 12:03
by Annen
xx
Recipes

Started by Val H on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 21:31
by Beetroot queen
xx
can not see recipes

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 08:54
by joyfull
smiley
recipes

Started by phil-c on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 18:17
by phil-c

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 55 queries.