SMELLY HEN! Update

• 25 Replies

Helenaj

SMELLY HEN! Update
« on: July 02, 2012, 13:05 »
Hi Everyone.  I have a four year old Barneveldar and recently she has started to smell really badly. I've checked her over and she's clean and free from pests, she's wormed regularly, her vent is also clean and no infections anywhere and her feather are fine - she's really very healthy, apart from the smell. She's even laying regularly at her age.
I've even given her a bath and once she's dry, this smell reappears. None of my other hens smell and some are her age and older.

I really don't understand it - any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 16:43 by Helenaj »

helens-hens

Re: SMELLY HEN!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 13:45 »
What does she smell of?
Helen

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 16:14 »
Have you checked her crop?  The smell could be coming from there.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 19:18 »
It's a cheesy smell - a really sweaty sock aroma and quite offensive.
Her crop's fine and her nasal cavity is clear- it seems to be coming off her body. I just don't understand what could be causung it. I suppose chickens sweat, but none of the others have this aroma.

My husband thinks I've gone mad as everytime I'm in the coop he sees me sniffing this hen!

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 20:28 »
The only thing I can suggest is to give her a luke warm bath using an antibacterial hand/body wash.  It is usually bacteria that causes the smell.  The only other tip which works for smelly feet is soaking in tea.  Make a pot of tea and let it cool (luke warm) before using it to bath your hen in.  She may end up a funny colour but I know it works on feet.  Keep us up to date on your progress.   :)

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:38 »
The smell you describe sounds as though it may be a thrush type infection. I don't know if chickens get thrush. Have you checked under her feathers all over. I f she is a hen that does not mind getting wet this weather may not have been good for her and could create an ideal environment for this sort of fungus. Just a thought :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

DoubleDigger

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:12 »
Birds don't 'sweat'.....but Hens going broody do 'business' that smells as if it came from the 'Gates of Hell'  :wacko:  Non hybrid, 4 years old ?.....perhaps she is going ? or sitting in something which one which is has 'done' ?

I though something had 'died' in our Coop when one of our Hybrids went broody last year.

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 08:11 »
Bathed her in tea solution - she looked lovely when she was dry - it sems to have really enhanced her gold lacing. however, the smell returned the day after.
The nest boxes are spotless and she sleeps ona perch so I know she's not slept or sat in anything. I just don't know. I'll let you know if I find the solution!

grinling

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 16:34 »
on another site a chicken owner was asked to check the hen for brown creepy crawlies. there was no replies.

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 19:01 »
Bathed her in tea solution - she looked lovely when she was dry - it sems to have really enhanced her gold lacing. however, the smell returned the day after.
The nest boxes are spotless and she sleeps ona perch so I know she's not slept or sat in anything. I just don't know. I'll let you know if I find the solution!

When you use the tea for smelly feet you have to do it regularly.  I think it kills off whatever bugs are causing the odour.   ;)

Helenaj

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 20:53 »
on another site a chicken owner was asked to check the hen for brown creepy crawlies. there was no replies.

I think you mean lice - mine are free of all nasties!

ANHBUC - I'll give it another go tomorrow as it's a dry day and see if it gets any less.

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 20:59 »
Worked on my youngest daughters feet when she was a teenager wearing trainers most of the time!  :blush:

Helenaj

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 09:17 »
Bathed her again this morning - and she was joined by one of my Blackrocks who thought it a good idea to get in the bowl with her! Both are now looking very glossy and smart :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 10:49 »
I think mine would run a mile if I brought out a bowl of water/tea.  ::)

jhub

• jane
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 12:30 »
In the US if someone gets sprayed by a skunk they wash in tomato juice ( not the skunk, the person) and it gets rid of the smell. I use a dollop of tomato ketchup on my Labrador when she rolls. Washed out after and it works a treat.
Another off the wall suggestion!

xx
Smelly wet run

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 19:51
by 4chooks
xx
smelly mud

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 10:34
by Flyin Chickens
xx
smelly pond

Started by happy clucker 1951 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 19:40
by Nails
xx
Are brooders smelly?

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 21:10
by babe

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 36 queries.