Slugs stripping potato plants

• 28 Replies

hubballi

Slugs stripping potato plants
« on: June 28, 2012, 17:11 »
After having almost 100% success with spraying garlic on the foliage of various plants to keep slugs and snails off, for some reason it isn't working with my Red Duke Of York potato plants. The first few weeks they kept off but this week they have stripped it almost bare. It's absolutely infuriating  :( I

Firstly, why would the same garlic work on some plants and not others ?

Secondly, will this decimation affect the growth of the potatoes ?

Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Slugs stripping potato plants
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 17:16 »
there are just so many of them this year, everybody is suffering  :(

If they strip all the foliage I suppose it will, the other thing is that you don't know what they are doing to the forming potatoes :(

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 17:30 »
I use the organic slug pellets, which have always worked very well for me. But I've never put down so many pellets before as I have this year. Normally I put them down once or maybe twice around vulnerable plants, and that's enough. This year I'm reapplying them every week, not because of rain but because they're being eaten by slugs :)

Agatha

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 17:36 »
Same here - I've always found a scattering of organic slug pellets have been all that's needed, but this year I am putting loads down every evening & by morning they are all gone...as are most of the plants they were supposed to protect.  Cucurbits are the worse affected, but there isn't anything they haven't had a go at.  It's driving me mad as I rely on my veg patch to help tide me over the winter when I don't earn so much money...they have decimated my marrows, leeks, carrots & cabbage & my brussels are just tiny stumps. Funnily enough, the one thing they aren't going for is lettuce, which is normally the most popular.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

hubballi

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 19:35 »
Again, why do they leave some plants like Hostas that I have sprayed with garlic but not others ? It's this horrible humidity they love. I am going out with a torch tonight. I hardly saw any earlier this season until this weather kicked in.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 19:59 »
I have used the organiv ferric based pellets this year. Yesterday, in desperation, I resorted to the bad old blue ones and this morning the plot is a killing field.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 20:10 »
I posted the same thing a few days ago, the organic ones don't seem to be working this year  :(

hubballi

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 20:40 »
The organic ones have never worked for me.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 21:12 »
My large plot is right by a stream with hundreds of frogs so I don't usually need to spread slug pellets around that much either but I did yesterday.  They have had a go at my sprouts - they are not quite stalks but were nearly there and they had had a go at the potatoes as well.  I never usually put pellets around the potatoes  at all  - but I have now.  I am using the 'organic' ones due to the frogs and wildlife around but will not hesitate to change if they don't work.  Hope next year is better.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 21:31 »
I posted the same thing a few days ago, the organic ones don't seem to be working this year  :(

Oh, they're definitely working. You don't normally see the dead slugs but the snails take longer to die, and I've seen plenty of those dead or dying around my plants. There's just a ridiculous number of slugs and snails this year.

Kirpi

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 20:52 »
The answer for me has been to leave some dustbin and compost bin lids around for them to shelter under and the pond frogs come and dine out in my makeshift cafes.  Most mornings I find the shelters empty and my veggies are intact - so far.

hubballi

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 06:53 »
Again, sprayed with garlic (which works with everything else) only to find them all over the Red Duke Of York again.

Can anyone tell me why it doesn't work mysteriously on this one plant ?

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 08:14 »
in my garden i once counted around 30 to 40 black slugs one early night :blink:

i've had to use the blue slug pellets from wilko's because they started eating the fenugreek and i couldn't see where they were. they also had goes at the cabbage and cauliflower. pellets came out and caught 20 around the fenugreek with their slime everywhere and 5 around the cabbage. they haven't touched the potato's yet.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 08:49 »
Can anyone tell me why it doesn't work mysteriously on this one plant ?

Probably just a matter of taste, we all have different ones!

viettaclark

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 09:02 »
I have 6 bags of spuds and it's only the Juliettes and Anyas which they go for.
I went slug hunting and the plants were HEAVING with HUGE brown slugs that were quickly snipped. I think this method is best.
I have also reverted to using the non-organic pellets in areas where the chooks can't go and they have been really effective. Slime splotches everywhere! Maybe the slugs get tolerant to the other organic poison?

xx
slugs &potato's

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 12, 2019, 14:00
by Hampshire Hog
xx
My first ever potato harvest...argh slugs!

Started by pulse on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 08:11
by codheadred
xx
Potato plant damaged by slugs - dig them up?

Started by mark_streat on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2012, 19:55
by mumofstig
xx
Slugs eating my potato leaves

Started by Ygerna on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 21:29
by gobs

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 40 queries.