Advice on broody hen please

• 18 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Advice on broody hen please
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 16:03 »
I wouldn't let her fool you Jomtie she is probably going to do the "We shall not be moved" after she has laid her clutch.  She is probably lulling you into a false sense of security.  Well done to your OH for making the anti-broody box on a bank holiday.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 13:20 »
This is the broody coop that OH made yesterday. Margot has been in there all morning and judging by the complaining I can hear, she's not at all impressed!! Geraldine keeps going over to see what the matter is, so I've covered the front with a board to give Margot some privacy. I'm assuming that if she needs to lay she'll just do it in there?

Update - I've just been to check on the broody and there's a lovely brown egg resting on the mesh, which she's making no effort to sit on. As over the past few days she's shown no iterest in the nestbox once she's layed and out of the coop, I thought I'd let her out and watch her. She's now out with the others without so much as a backwards glance at the coop. She's clearly defective!  ;)
SDC11483compressed.jpg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 14:01 by Jomtie »
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 11:36 »
10 out of 10 to your OH for his joinery skills.  I hope that it continues to work and Margot can go back to her job of producing eggs for you.   :lol:

sarajane

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 23:31 »
Wow  -  very impresive broody coop.

Since I posted 5 days ago our Lily has escaped 5 times  from my home made run by pulling down the chicken wire and obviously climbing up it i would think.  We renamed her Houdini a couple of days ago.

Today my OH fenced her off far better than I did and touch wood, at 8.30 tonight she was still cooped up and I'll keep her there for at leadt 3 days.  If she goes back into brood she'll be there for 4 days then 5 etc etc.

xx
Broody advice

Started by Bobbie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 10:43
by Vember
xx
Broody need advice.

Started by 22fox on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 19:09
by chuckmum
xx
Advice on broody please

Started by ness on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 11:12
by Lost in France
xx
broody hen advice

Started by chech221 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 11:05
by chech221

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 39 queries.