Albert Bartlett Potatoes

• 17 Replies

TheSpartacat

Albert Bartlett Potatoes
« on: January 22, 2012, 22:25 »
Some of you may have come across the Albert Bartlett range of potatoes available in the supermarkets... featuring more unusual varieties such as Purple Majesty and Marabel.

I have a few of both kinds in my kitchen and am sorely tempted to plant them... and usually i would be completely against planting supermarket spuds.... but... Albert Bartlett is a top Scottish seed potato producer, supplying certified seed potatoes to some very trusted companies, and i'm imagining they are of equally excellent quality, even though they were from the supermarket.

Am i insane for considering planting them? Or does anyone know more about Albert Bartlett potatoes that can shed some light on them?

gobs

Re: Albert Bartlett Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 22:57 »
Ah, just posh food suppliers, I'd think. Nothing wrong in nicking a few of this and that from the shops to sow. :)

Don't make a habbit of it. Mum said. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 00:14 »
Last season some of my rooftop spuds were supermarket oddies from the fridge that had started chitting so I plonked them in pots and got some great crops..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:22 »
I would not risk uncertified seed potatoes in my soil. Tubs are a different matter, even then you could transfer a disease if you spread the used compost on your plot.

However, it's your plot and your choice.

I was always taught that plot hygiene is paramount.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:39 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 08:30 »
I would not risk uncertified seed potatoes into my soil. Tubs are a different matter, even then you could transfer a disease if you spread the used compost on your plot.

However, it's your plot and your choice.

I was always taught that plot hygiene is paramount.

For what it is worth, I'm firmly in DD's camp here --- I nurture my soil as I have it for life and don't want to risk any diseases whatsover.

Can't quite see how anyone would feel differently who grows their own veg, but ..... each to their own I suppose
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

TheSpartacat

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 16:10 »
So, no-one knows anything about Albert Bartlett then? Ah, where's Ian when ya need him :-D

Marabel doesn't seem to be available anywhere as seed potatoes at the moment. Given that Albert Bartlett grows certified seed potatoes, under rigorous conditions, this is why i'm considering it. It seems to be the first year they're trialling them, so i'd imagine they'd be growing them carefully with a view to produce marabel seed potatoes at some point, if they prove popular....

I found a link about the Purple Majesty that seems to answer my question... but its from last year  :(
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=70325.0

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 19:19 »
The point is that they don't appear to be growing them under certified seed conditions - they are growing them for the food market (if I understand your original post correctly).

That distinction is enough for me not to want to risk the hygiene not only of my own plot but also that of all the others on my site.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 19:46 »
I tried some of the Purple majesty potatoes last year and found that they did not grow. I am wondering if they had been treated to prevent sprouting.

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 19:56 »
JBA supply several of the Albert Bartlett varieties. I'm trying Vivaldi this year as they've had good reviews.

As others have pointed out, there's a big difference between certified seed and ware potatoes (those grown for eating). For the price of the seed it doesn't seem worth the risk of bringing disease into your plot. If you buy fresh seed, grow your own and like them you can always save some for next year.

cob nut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 20:13 »
I saw some Albert Bartlett seed potatoes in those small packs that contain about 5 or 10 potatoes at a nursery last week, I only remember seeing two varieties but there may have been others, think they were quite expensive too.

hebridean

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 20:05 »
I planted some Albert Bartlett rooster potatoes that I purchased in my local shop last year. I had some fantastic results from them, So good I'm planning on doing the same again this year!!
Kenny

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 20:10 »
this question comes up time and again and i think the essential point is when the seeds are £3 a bag is it really worth the risk of diesase?
i do have some vivaldi chitting away atm, will report on taste in the summer!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 20:11 »
It's your soil, but using shop bought potatoes as seed spuds, you do run a greater risk of introducing diseases than if you use certified seed potatoes.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 20:12 »
Snap(ish) RW!

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 20:30 »
ah the old syncronised posting problem, cant beat it :)

xx
Albert Bartlett's Anya.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2021, 13:40
by Potterer
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 39 queries.