greenhouse shading

• 18 Replies

rowlandwells

greenhouse shading
« on: December 16, 2011, 18:52 »
 for some years now i do the summer ritual of covering the outside of the greenhouses with green poly shading its like a mesh so it let some light in but its a pain if its windy to put on but it does help to protect the plants from UV rays i open the windows but  it does tend to get quite warm in there when i am  away at work :ohmy:

i always get cross when putting the shading on the greenhouse  because it gets tangled up on the glazing clips same when removing it but its a must because without that plants would certainly burn up on the benches >:(

so I've decided to try another way by putting the shading on the inside of the greenhouse using alliplugs i know it mite take a little longer and a bit more fiddly to do it this way must persevere

if anyone out there has any advise about shading greenhouses any advise would be most welcome  :) :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: greenhouse shading
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 19:08 »
use bubblewrap to line the inside and leave it up all year.
A bit of 'double glazing' for the early stuff and the bubbles stop scorching in summer  ;)

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 19:46 »
The problem with putting shade netting inside the Greenhouse is that it doesnt reduce the temperature. Once the suns rays have come through the glass the damage is done.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 20:09 »
use bubblewrap to line the inside and leave it up all year.
A bit of 'double glazing' for the early stuff and the bubbles stop scorching in summer  ;)

Seconded, it does help negate high and low temps.
The only downside is that you have to replace it every 3 or so years as the UV light turns the bubble wrap to confetti.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 19:43 »
 many thanks for your replies sound advise will give it a go RW

stompy

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:18 »
I would go with the bubble wrap idea.

Don't leave it in place for more than 2 years as it does break up into tiny pieces and is a nightmare to remove it all from the ground.

It's not expensive either so replace it every 2 years, it also gives you more than the mesh does as it adds insulation and extends the growing season at both ends.   :blink:

Willie_Eckerslike

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 18:07 »
I used debris netting on the outside of mine this year and it worked for me. Throw it over the top and then clip it down with some large metal clips a bit like clothes pegs only bigger.

WendysLot

• Healing Beads
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:25 »
Its a while ago since the last post but I have been thinking about this problem too and just stumbled across this one.  I am at work all day and worried the greenhouse will get too hot as I can't leave windows open in case it pours down.

I was thinking of making some small black out type blinds for the inside and just putting them over the area that gets the strongest of the sun during the middle of the day.  My greenhouse has sun all day long.

Would this work?

Wendy

savbo

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 14:01 »
I am at work all day and worried the greenhouse will get too hot as I can't leave windows open in case it pours down.

?? Lots of us leave doors and vents open during the day, then return to close at night. The rain won't be a problem...

sav

stompy

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 14:17 »
I have 2 roof vents and 1 louvre (spelling?)
The door remains closed but the roof vents will be on auto openers and the louvre will be on an auto vent eventuall too, but at the moment it will be left open all day and night.

More than enough ventilation and there will be an adition of shading if neccesary, which in my case will be bubble wrap to give me an extra month of growing at the beginning and end of the year.

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 19:52 »
 following your comments I've had to re-think the matter of shading i know its a pain and it takes the best part of a day to put shading nets on the outside of the greenhouses there is also quite a lot of swearing at the time of fixing  :mad:

but i have to say it does work i run the shading from the roof down the sides that shades the glass down to the staging securing the net with string onto an anchor point we also leave the windows open throughout the season

we have used the same green plastic netting for about 6years and its still going strong  :)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 07:13 »
We have used white wash stuff in the past, and debris netting the white wash stuff was awful to get off. The netting is not to bad to use at all with a second pair of hands.
Thanks
Kris

savbo

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 08:49 »
I've tacked lengths of windbreak netting to 1m battens at either end - then lift these over the roof ridge with a long pole. 12' greenhouse shaded in under 5 mins.... never blown off, i guess because the netting is so porous

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 17:06 »
 that's a dam good idea savbo i'm going to try that with my net this time will let you know how i get on with it :)

many thanks for that RW

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 17:23 »
Last year was my first with a greenhouse and it didn't therefore present that many overheating problems  ::), although the single automatic vent on its own wasn't enough without the door open on a few days.

I'm following all this with great interest - still hoping that someone has found a way of installing something adjustable (like a roller blind), insulating (like bubble-wrap) which doesn't potentially stop the window opening or otherwise impede air flow.

Got a feeling I might be expecting too much and am in for a long wait!  :unsure:  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Greenhouse Shading

Started by jane0o0 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2018, 20:48
by AnneB
xx
greenhouse shading?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 22:11
by razzmick
xx
Greenhouse shading

Started by vanessa.xx on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 12:54
by Optimistic Gardener
xx
greenhouse shading

Started by jimallotment on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2016, 15:01
by steved

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 41 queries.