Price of G.H. glass.

• 11 Replies

Slowgrind

Price of G.H. glass.
« on: March 20, 2011, 14:37 »
Ordered ten pieces of glass for my G.H. roof on Saturday. Cost me thirty six quid!!!!
Is that about the going rate? Geezer at the merchants told me that every new delivery jumps up in price. I remember my Dad collecting panes of glass from anyone with some to spare. Now I know why!!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Price of G.H. glass.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 15:47 »
That price isn't too bad Slowgrind.. :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 15:54 »
My local glass merchant charges £5 per sheet (not enquired about larger quantities but it's a good job they're local and I don't keep having to buy them!)

You got yourself a bargain SG!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 20:20 »
I got some 4mm thck panes for £3 a sheet recently...  :)

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 20:48 »
We just bought 14 sheets this weekend, 4mm thick at £4 a pop!  Worse thing is, we've still another 6 or so sheets to replace.  Bloomin' winter weather  :tongue2:
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 23:56 »
I bought some yesterday at £5 per pane (2 x 2 ft) so I think you've done well

RichardA

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:37 »
my local small town glazier and builders merchant is usually very good and I use thema  lot, I have just last week paid £15 for four panes of 2 foot by 2 foot GH glass collected.
R

mclarkuk1

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 11:24 »
I recently brought a polycarb greenhouse but changed one side to glass as my garden faces directly onto a field and we are on a hill so the wind would cause nightmare problems with the polycarb.

I dont know what type of glass you are all on about whether its horti, or float but i opted for toughened 4mm. One half of a 8X6 greenhouse cost me 70 + VAT. Expensive to start with but fingers crossed i propably wont ever need to replace it every few years due to weather and knocks  :D

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 14:35 »
What a boody good idea! Never crossed my mind to do the windy side of our pollycarb greenhouse in glass! Have just had another newly fitted side blow out! GENIUS  :D I have found glass is SOOOOOOO much cheaper than pollycarb!

mclarkuk1

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 17:21 »
 :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 18:17 »
Although mine is horticultural-grade glass I'm still quite interested in the alternatives;

I thought polycarbonate sheets just bent and jumped out of the clips but could be re-used (assuming you can find them!)  :unsure:

Can toughened glass be cut to make the odd-shaped pieces or is it only available in the "standard" sheet sizes?

mclarkuk1

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 19:22 »
Your right in saying polycarb sheets have alot of 'play' in them and that a nice breeze can easily pop them out of the greenhouse frame.

Even the polycarb sheets on the rear of my greenhouse were bending all over the place yesterday with the wind and they are right against a brick wall and very sheltered.

You can get toughened glass made in any shape or size you require.
Ive a feeling they cut the glass before they toughen it ?!?  :unsure: Another good thing is that toughened glass is so strong that you can have even the large roof and side panels in one piece as apposed to seperate smaller ones over-lapping.

Shop around for prices though it can be expensive, stick to the small local glaziers.

As i mentioned before, it may be a slighlty more expensive outlay to start with but in the long term you will save money and hassle as it will no doubt last as long if not longer than your greenhouse.

xx
What is a good Price for Greenhouse Glass ?

Started by AdsaM on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 19:50
by puffinstuff
xx
Greenhouse Glass 3 or 4mm?

Started by Wavertree Red on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 18:36
by 8doubles
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by cc on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2017, 11:19
by cc
xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Dantheman on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 00:17
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.