Newbie Help Needed! CAT control?

• 18 Replies

andyajsb

Newbie Help Needed! CAT control?
« on: September 13, 2010, 21:20 »
Hiya!

We just got our 4 new girls yesterday.  Let them out into their run this morning and had to rush out to dentist.  Didn't know whether it was best to shut them back into their coop or leave them in the run so did the latter.

Came back to same damaged mesh and thought the girls had been trying to escape but a neighbour told me this evening it was a local cat having a good go at getting in to them!  Everything I have read before said that cats wouldn't normally bother chickens?  Is this wrong?   The neighbour said the girls were pretty spooked and made a lot of noise and that is backed up by the feathers so I am a little worried about the cat making a return visit and stressing the poor dears out again???

Is there anything I can do as a deterrant?  Or any other advice??

Thanks alot.

tesni

• Experienced Member
Re: Newbie Help Needed! CAT control?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 21:28 »
My cats have been curious about the chickens but after the novelty wore off and they had actually met in the garden, it is most definitely the chickens in charge!  Can you stake the run out, armed with a water pistol or hose and ambush the cat?  Cheeky thing!  :tongue2: Hope you give it a good scare somehow - as your chickens get more confident I'm sure they will join you in seeing it off, good luck  ::) 

evie2

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 22:16 »
Our 4 cats don't bother about our chooks or rabbits in fact they just give a look of 'not again' and either poddle off or go back to sleep.  The neighbours 2 evil cats are a different matter >:( if I ever find one anywhere near my chooks :mad: a box and a journey will be involved >:(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Jae Dawn

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:19 »
  I had / have an issue with my neighbor's cat terrorising my chickens I have invested in CAT Scare.  Similar to the Fox watch.  I also have a water pistol (several actually) in different locations and I have spent the last 10 days watching out for it even at night and when it comes into the garden (which it doesn't really just walks on the fence due to the Cat Scare things) I squirt it with the water pistol. 

I have completely terrorised it (not so nice is it... you blasted cat).  I have seen this same cat kill several woodcot pigeons.  Once I scared one but two days latter saw the blasted cat with one in it's mouth running for home.  I have talked politely to my neighbors explaining the situation and inviting them and their 2 year old over to see the chickens.  The little girl seemed to really like the chickens, her mother explained that the little 2 year old is terrified of their two cats that they have.  (DUH?? think I would have gotten rid of them sooner).    The one is not bad it is very docile but the other is nasty evil thing (probably just a regular tom cat  :D) At least they did put a bell on the cat so now it can't sneak around.

If you can find out who owns the cat and speak to them of the situation but I have found those Cat Scare things work great!  Good luck!!

evie2

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 13:51 »
Just seen Merlin face to face with 1 of next doors toms (twice the size of him) beside the chickens, Merlin won with a little help from me :D

Pity I couldn't get neer enough to put it in a box >:(

Zeb

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 16:24 »
I dont see why you should have to spend  time / energy / money  on cat control.
It should be up to the owners to ensure that their beloved little 'Tibbles' doesn't cause nuisance or offence.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 17:07 »
Careful folks.

Don't turn this into a how to 'get rid of' next door's cat thread.....it will get locked if it turns nasty.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 17:11 »
it's impossible to be responsible for a cat's behaviour when it is out and about and the law reflects this.  So long as a person isn't cruel or cause suffering then use fair means or foul (fowl  :D) scare it off or deter it from entering your property.  Often the best deterrent is your own cat!  Failing that water pistols & hose pipes, shouting and wildly waving arms..... be inventive.  I'm not sure of the efficacy of commercial deterrents but some in these threads have mentioned successful ones so keep searching & good luck  ::)  

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 17:30 »
The RSPB use "CatWatch" units to protect sensitive nest sites so they must believe they work.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 17:47 »
http://www.deteracat.co.uk/catwatch.htm

not cheap but if it works........

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 18:05 »
http://www.deteracat.co.uk/catwatch.htm

not cheap but if it works........

Depends how much you value your garden  ;)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 19:22 »
If you have the time and patience, ambush them with a super soaker.  Try not to let them see you so they are scared of being in your garden and not just scared of you.

It does them no harm and they go elsewhere to play.
Cheese makes everything better.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 20:03 »
I use a water pistol with mine, it doesn't hurt anything other than their pride  ::) and works to scare them off most of the time. I do have one cat that enjoys being shot with it though.... As others have said usually chickens are good at defending themselves, but on the rare occasion a cat is over enthusiastic combining the water pistol and the sonic deterrent would seem the best option.

Zeb

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 06:05 »
I have to admit, I am 100% anti cat.

Except for rare occasions, every morning I wake up to find 'little presents' left for me in the beds under my front windows.
I am totally sick of having to clean up the foul smelling offerings daily.

As its at the front of the house, any visable/mechanical type deterrent would soon go walkies so anything would have to be mega cheap as it would certainly need replacing often.
Rigging a hose up to a sensor is a no no as I dont think callers i.e postman, milkman etc would approve of being soaked.
As I have no idea who is responsible for the cats (responsible, thats a laugh) I cant return the cr@p
I dont really like the idea of forcing the cats to move on to a new area, because unlike the  cats owners, I wouldnt like to be reponsible for my neighbours to have this problem.

Bantymad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 06:40 »
Hi Andy, maybe you could build or fence of an outer area around your coop and run using a weld mesh as its nice and strong with garden netting over the top. chooks would be nice and safe and you wouldn't have to worry. My next door's cat was very curious but has got used to having the chickens around now. best of luck.

xx
HELP Crowd control advice needed

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 10:45
by babe
xx
Newbie - Help Needed

Started by keeleysgal on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 11:14
by muntjac
xx
chook newbie help needed plz

Started by cruse05uk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 18:57
by cruse05uk
question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 39 queries.