Chicken 'patches'

• 8 Replies

Chicken Pete

Chicken 'patches'
« on: August 05, 2010, 15:54 »
I have 15 chickens (22 months old) and some of them are showing bright pink patches
especially on their rear.  Could someone let me know what I can do to cure this and what is causing it.
Thanks

Casey76

Re: Chicken 'patches'
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 17:00 »
Hi Pete,  first of all check your chickens for lice and mites.  A hen will pften pluck out the feathers in trying to preen out the nasties.

If the hens do have some nasties you can treat them with a topical parasite medication (as you have so many, frontline spray may be the most economical - but you may need to sign a release from your vet as frontline isn't licensed for the treatment of poultry)

If the hens don't have unwanted passengers, then you may have some feather pecking going on.  Do your hens have plenty of space?  Boredom can often lead to feather pecking, as can a lack of protein in the diet.

There are several ways to increase protein:  add a measure of chick crumb to the layers pellets/mash (chick crumb is usually 19-21% protein, layers is usually around 16%), add some split soybean to the daily treat, feed some meal worms, or you can try a beef-type cat food.

HTH :)

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 17:46 »
or they could be going through a mini moult, think i read somewhere that youngsters go through a mini moult         nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

madcat

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 18:29 »
I'm having a bad day.  I read the title of this thread and thought - they now have patches so people can give up chickens like they give up ciggies???  :ohmy:  Well, I suppose they are both addictive .... :unsure:

The proper explanation was a bit of a letdown...   :(   :D :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 20:30 »
I'm having a bad day.  I read the title of this thread and thought - they now have patches so people can give up chickens like they give up ciggies???  :ohmy:  Well, I suppose they are both addictive .... :unsure:

The proper explanation was a bit of a letdown...   :(   :D :D

You're not alone Madcat, I thought the same thing.

TeaPots

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 21:16 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LINP
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chicken Pete

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 10:26 »
As you can see I am new to keeping chickens and am not 'up' on 'chicken speak'!! anyway thanks for the helpful responses received. One more question can chickens be fed Barley,etc or just Wheat?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 11:12 »
Hi Pete, I have removed your 2 previous posts where you had just copied Casey's post  :lol:
Make sure your hens have access to layers pellets or mash all day and water. Also make sure they have a supply of grit (to help them grind up their feed as they have no teeth) and crushed oyster shell or washed baked and ground egg shells (these are to give them calcium to make new egg shells) in separate pots all the time. Treats such as mixed corn, meal worm etc is to be given as a treat - their really isn't the range of vitamins and minerals they need to remain healthy if they have this all the time. However try telling my chickens that - every time the farmer sows a new crop whether it is barley or corn they take themselves off into his field and help themselves to it  ::). Now that the corn is ripe they are often found in the field eating the fallen seeds - just got to hope when the harvester comes they keep out of it's way  :ohmy:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 15:44 »
Thanks to Joyful for the information, I was lacking a few ingredients mentioned so have
added that to their menu!!!
I must compliment most of the users of this Forum as the advise and comments are
extremely helpful and informative. :)

xx
bald patches

Started by LGS on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 09:10
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Bald patches

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 13:58
by Casey76
xx
bald patches

Started by vic_eloise on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 00:27
by vic_eloise
xx
? Er help! - patches on wattles

Started by Draindragon on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 22:06
by joyfull

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 40 queries.