Flubenvet - just to clarify about it's use.

• 16 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Flubenvet - just to clarify about it's use.
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:37 »
Just to clarify about what you can and cannot do with Flubenvet 1% medicated premixture.

For chickens and geese.
You mix 6 grams of the flubenvet with 2kgs of feed (it should come with a 6 gram measuring scoop - level measure = 6 grams) - mix well together and store in an airtight container. You feed your chickens only this feed (no treats) for the next 7 days. If they eat it all then mix some more up. If they have known worm infestation then retreat again for 7 days after a 3 week break.
Flubenvet has no adverse effect on egg laying or hatch-ability, egg withdrawal period is zero days.
However if being used in birds for human consumption then they must not be slaughtered during the treatment or for 7 clear days after treatment.

If treating turkeys then 6 grams will need to be mixed with 3kgs of feed.

Flubenvet will treat for gapeworm, large roundworm, caecal worm, hairworm and gizzard worm. It treats adult worms, larvae and the eggs.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:41 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
Re: Flubenvet - just to clarify about it's use.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:12 »
Thanks for that can I just ask a quick question please?
I've only recently got my girls and was not informed when they were last wormed is it okay to give them Flubenvet now, even though they might have had treatment recently for all I know?

joyfull

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:14 »
How old are they? Are they on fresh ground (i.e. no other poultry has been living on the ground) and what were the conditions from where they came from?

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:17 »
I was told they are 16 to 18 months so unsure exactly. Yes they are on fresh ground and they appear healthy, shiny eyes, healthy feet and legs but have various stages of baldness, they are ex. battery hens.

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:22 »
Batt and barn hens usually don't need worming when they are in captivity as they do not come into contact with the ground and wild birds, ex free ranging hens from large establishments do get wormed and they use (or at least my neighbours old egg producing farm did) Flubenvet as well (stronger mixture though).
If it was me I would worm them just to make sure they haven't picked up any worms or worm eggs where wild birds have been or even from eating slugs etc

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:26 »
Yes that's what I was planning, thanks Joyfull think I will start it to be safe. I might as well get it into my routine as I know I will be keeping chicks forever now. :)

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:56 »
If yours are free ranginging like mine then I find it best to worm them 3 times a year  :)

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 17:22 »
Can you over-worm them?  ??? Our vet used to recommend worming our cat (RIP) every couple of months because of the amount he used to catch and eat :tongue2:

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 19:15 »
should i worm my quails?

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 19:49 »
quails can get worms - see here:-

http://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/guide.php?view=Quails&cat=Quail%20Health&sub=illness

but I am not sure of the correct doage etc so best to ask your vet  :)

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 21:02 »
thanks for that joyful that website is really good ive not seen it before!

Goldfinger

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 21:51 »
By the way, who's giving the best deal on the stuff at the mo?? Cost, post & packing etc??

Our's will be due to be done shortly and was wondering who got a good deal on it.

I just feel that some 'charge this, but no P&P' and them others, 'charge that with P&P'

I'm getting fed up with them  >:(

hillfooter

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 02:03 »
Batt and barn hens usually don't need worming when they are in captivity as they do ........................

I don't think you can describe domesticated animals as being kept in "captivity" Joy.  Only wild animals are kept in "captivity" ie restrained against their natural instincts to escape.  Chickens do not have any instinctive drive to escape and usually seek the security of being housed in a domesticated flock.  This is also true of battery hens surprisingly and is one of the reasons so called free range commercial systems are a long way away from the popular romantic notion of happy hens ranging over verdant meadows.  Though I know what you mean here.

HF
Truth through science.

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 09:51 »
Captivity - cap·tiv·i·ty (kp-tv-t)
n. pl. cap·tiv·i·ties
The state or period of being imprisoned, confined, or enslaved.

Hens being kept in cages are in my book confined which according to the dictionaries means they are kept in captivity. You only have to see when they are removed from these conditions how they soon quickly learn to get back to behaving in a more normal way - scratching perching, dust bathing.
Captivity does not just apply to wild animals - people are sometimes kept in captivity whether in prison or as slaves and not all of these are wild animals are they?

hillfooter

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 11:45 »
Captivity - cap·tiv·i·ty (kp-tv-t)
n. pl. cap·tiv·i·ties
The state or period of being imprisoned, confined, or enslaved.

Hens being kept in cages are in my book confined which according to the dictionaries means they are kept in captivity. You only have to see when they are removed from these conditions how they soon quickly learn to get back to behaving in a more normal way - scratching perching, dust bathing.
Captivity does not just apply to wild animals - people are sometimes kept in captivity whether in prison or as slaves and not all of these are wild animals are they?

???::) well if you will use inferior dictionaries there's no hope.   So that proves my point only a third of the meanings of captivity actually apply to your usage.  Dictionaries define the meaning of words you can't cherry pick definitions to find a word.  If you meant confined you should have said so or used a thesaurus.  After all I confine my activities to having pointless arguments about semantics but I don't hold them in captivity :lol:
HF

xx
flubenvet

Started by mo-jo on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 14:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
ACV/Flubenvet

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 05, 2014, 16:01
by andy46
xx
flubenvet

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 22:08
by Aunt Sally
xx
Flubenvet...

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

45 Replies
Last post November 04, 2009, 09:57
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 40 queries.